Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel’s Counter-Terrorism Bureau raises Istanbul travel warning to highest level

It follows a previous alert for all of Turkey in light of security concerns regarding Iranian attempts to attack Israeli targets in the country.

Istanbul
Istanbul, Turkey. Credit: Pixaby.

Israel’s Counter-Terrorism Bureau, a part of the National Security Council, has raised the travel warning for Istanbul to Level 4—the highest level—on Monday.

The rise in alert status came after the bureau reissued a previous warning from May 30 for the whole of Turkey in light of security concerns regarding Iranian attempts to attack Israeli targets in the country.

“Given the continuing nature of the threat and in light of the increased Iranian intentions to attack Israelis in Turkey, especially Istanbul, the National Security Council has raised the travel warning for Istanbul to the highest level, Level 4,” said the bureau in a statement.

“Accordingly, the NSC calls on Israelis currently in Istanbul to leave the city at the earliest opportunity and on Israelis planning to travel to Turkey to avoid doing so until further notice,” it added.

“It should be recalled that other areas in Turkey are under a Level 3 [intermediate] travel warning; therefore, the NSC recommends that Israelis also avoid non-essential travel to other parts of the country. There is no reason to avoid flights with connections in Istanbul provided that one does not leave the airport,” said the bureau.

Earlier on Monday, Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid said that “after a series of attempts to conduct Iranian terror attacks against Israelis who went on vacation in Istanbul, we call on Israelis: Don’t fly to Istanbul, and if you don’t have an essential need, don’t fly to Turkey. If you are already in Istanbul, return to Israel as soon as possible.”

Israeli and Turkish intelligence recently foiled an Iranian plot to attack Israeli targets on Turkish soil, senior Israeli officials told Ynet on Sunday.

Rep. Jared Moskowitz said the employee should no longer work for the county if the allegations are confirmed.
Asaad al-Shaibani said that contact with Jerusalem was cut off in the wake of the Israelis strikes on an airbase in northwestern Syria.
Rabbi Gavriel Koskas of Magen David Congregation of Surfside-Bal Harbour told JNS that it appeared to be an “isolated incident” that shouldn’t define the beach town.
“We need to see more consistent enforcement, greater transparency and meaningful consequences for repeat offenders,” Liora Rez of StopAntisemitism told JNS.