A senior Israeli official indicated that an Egyptian-mediated ceasefire has been reached between Israel and Hamas, and other Gaza terrorist groups, amid the latter launching more than 400 rockets into Israel since Monday.
Some 27 people have so far been injured in the violence, with one Palestinian worker in Ashkelon killed.
“Israel maintains its right to act. Requests from Hamas for a ceasefire came through four different mediators. Israel responded that the events on the ground will decide [if a ceasefire will go into effect],” the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Times of Israel.
However, apparently four top ministers are opposed to the reported ceasefire: Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked, Environmental Protection Minister Ze’ev Elkin and Education Minister Naftali Bennett.
An unnamed minster, who attended the meeting on Tuesday, told the Times of Israel that no vote was held during a seven-hour meeting to decide the next steps.
This development comes as the group Islamic Jihad announced it launched fresh rockets into Ashkelon to “turn [it] into hell.”
Previously, Israel rejected talks with Egypt and the United Nations over a ceasefire with Hamas.