Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Drone attack on Eilat wounds two Israelis

The Israel Defense Forces confirmed that at least two explosive drones were launched at the Jewish state “from the east.”

An aerial view of the southern Israeli city of Eilat, Oct. 21, 2015. Photo by Moshe Shai/Flash90.
An aerial view of the southern Israeli city of Eilat, Oct. 21, 2015. Photo by Moshe Shai/Flash90.

Two Israelis were lightly wounded in a suicide drone attack on the southern port city of Eilat on Wednesday night, Israeli authorities said.

The Magen David Adom emergency response group said that its medics on the scene treated two male victims, ages 68 and 28, both of whom suffered “very minor” wounds.

The attack triggered air-raid sirens across Eilat, sending some 60,000 residents, as well as tourists and Israeli evacuees, running for shelter.

The Israel Defense Forces stated that at least two explosive-laden drones were launched at the Jewish state “from the east.”

“A Navy missile ship of the ‘Sa’ar 5' type intercepted one unmanned aircraft, and the fall of another unmanned aircraft was detected in the area of the city of Eilat,” the military stated.

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed Shi’ite militias, claimed responsibility for the attack.

During its nearly year-long war against Hamas in Gaza, Israel has faced attacks from several fronts, including from the eastern border.

Earlier this week, the IDF thwarted three attacks originating from Iraq that targeted the Golan Heights in Israel’s northern region. The Islamic Resistance in Iraq claimed responsibility for the missile and drone attacks.

Iranian-backed terrorist organizations throughout the region have targeted Eilat on many occasions during the ongoing war.

On June 3, the IDF’s Arrow air-defense system intercepted a ballistic missile heading for Eilat fired by Iranian-backed Houthi terrorists in Yemen. No injuries or damage were reported.

Later that month, Israeli Air Force jets and the Iron Dome missile defense system downed two drones launched from Syrian territory towards the Red Sea city. No injuries were reported.

In response, Jerusalem struck a command center, air-defense systems and other military infrastructure belonging to the Syrian regime.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.