Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

One arrested over threatening letter at Yoni Netanyahu’s grave

A 26-year-old Kfar Saba resident admitted to writing the letter, which included threats against the life of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Police marking tape at Mount Herzl Military Cemetery, in Jerusalem, on June 30, 2023, where a letter threatening Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu found on the grave of his brother, Yoni Netanyahu earlier in the day. Photo by Flash90
Police marking tape at Mount Herzl Military Cemetery, in Jerusalem, on June 30, 2023, where a letter threatening Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu found on the grave of his brother, Yoni Netanyahu earlier in the day. Photo by Flash90

Israeli police and the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) on Saturday night arrested a 26-year-old resident of Kfar Saba in connection with a death threat against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The arrest followed a report regarding a threatening letter placed on the grave of the late Yoni Netanyahu—the prime minister’s brother who was killed in the 1976 Entebbe raid—at the Mount Herzl national military cemetery in Jerusalem. Upon receipt of the report, a joint investigation was opened by the Israel Police and Shin Bet.

During interrogation, the suspect admitted to placing the letter at Yoni Netanyahu’s grave. The suspect is set to appear at the Rishon Lezion Magistrate’s Court on Sunday for an extension of his remand.

The letter, which was written in both Hebrew and English, stated, “This is a threat of the first level,” and indicated that Netanyahu would not reach the age of 74.

Netanyahu and his brother Ido last week participated in a memorial ceremony at Mount Herzl on the 47th anniversary of Yoni’s death.

Israeli media also reported on Sunday that on Friday, a 47-year-old resident of Kiryat Gat was arrested after calling the police station in the city and threatening to kill Netanyahu.

“The Shin Bet and the Israel Police will deal with severity and with all the means at their disposal in the face of a threat of harm to public figures and will prosecute those involved,” a joint statement said.

David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.