Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Pompeo reiterates call to UN Security Council to extend arms embargo on Iran

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of “already violating the arms embargo, even before its expiration date” on Oct. 18.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addresses the U.N. Security Council on Aug. 20, 2019. Source: Screenshot.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addresses the U.N. Security Council on Aug. 20, 2019. Source: Screenshot.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on the U.N. Security Council to extend the U.N. arms embargo on Iran ahead of its expiration later this year.

The arms embargo is set to be lifted in October in accordance with the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, which the Trump administration withdrew from in May 2018, reimposing sanctions lifted under it, along with enacted new financial penalties against the regime.

Calling Iran “the world’s most heinous terrorist regime” and “not a responsible democracy like Australia or India,” Pompeo said the U.N. Security Council “has a choice: Stand for international peace and security, as the United Nations’ founders intended, or let the arms embargo on the Islamic Republic of Iran expire, betraying the U.N.’s mission and its finest ideals, which we have all pledged to uphold.”

He went on to state on Tuesday that if the arms embargo isn’t extended, “Iran will be free to purchase Russian-made fighter jets that can strike up to a 3,000 kilometer radius, putting cities like Riyadh, New Delhi, Rome, and Warsaw in Iranian crosshairs.”

Additionally, Pompeo warned that if the embargo expires:

Iran will be free to upgrade and expand its fleet of submarines to further threaten international shipping and freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea. Iran will be free to purchase new and advanced technologies for its proxies and partners throughout the Middle East, including Hamas, Hizballah [sic] and the Houthis. Iran will hold a sword of Damocles over the economic stability of the Middle East, endangering nations like Russia and China that rely on stable energy prices. Iran will be free to become a rogue weapons dealer, supplying arms to fuel conflicts from Venezuela, to Syria, to the far reaches of Afghanistan.

Pompeo accused Iran of “already violating the arms embargo, even before its expiration date” on Oct. 18.

The top U.S. diplomat recalled Iran’s recent activities, including launching attacks on American bases in January in retaliation for the U.S. elimination of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani in Iraq, in addition to attacking commercial vessels in the Gulf of Oman last year in May and June.

Additionally, Pompeo remarked that Iran is “showing no signs of slowing its destabilizing nuclear escalation” and “accumulating dangerous knowledge” in pursuing a nuclear bomb.

“Renewing the embargo will exert more pressure on Tehran to start behaving like a normal nation,” said Pompeo. “The world needs this to happen. The long-suffering Iranian people need this to happen.”

Law enforcement thanked the general public for help finding the man in question just one day after the incident.
It comes as the Israeli Foreign Ministry claimed that the paper published a “shameful attack” on the Jewish state before the release of a report on sexual violence on Oct. 7.
“Jewish New Yorkers constitute a minority of New Yorkers across the five boroughs and yet constitute a majority of New Yorkers who face hate crimes in this city,” the New York City mayor said.
“These disturbing incidents further reinforce the importance of clear and transparent safe-access policies,” said Mark Treyger, CEO of the Jewish Community Relations Council of New York.
“Let’s stand together for public safety, common sense and the future of our city,” Michael Novakhov, a Brooklyn representative, said.
“Since our nation’s founding 250 years ago, Jewish people have played an important role in America’s story,” the statement issued by the Republican Governors Association read.