Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Turkey protests Israel, Greece and Cyprus for undersea cable plans

A diplomatic note by Turkey claimed that the proposed undersea cable passes through its territorial waters in the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

Boats on the Bosporus Straits near Istanbul, May 15, 2011. Credit: Adam Jones via Wikimedia Commons.
Boats on the Bosporus Straits near Istanbul, May 15, 2011. Credit: Adam Jones via Wikimedia Commons.

Turkey formally protested an agreement reached by Israel, Greece and Cyprus to build an undersea electricity cable connecting their power grids, reported Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency on Monday.

Ankara sent a diplomatic note to the Greek and Israeli embassies, as well as to the Delegation of the European Union, stating that no action should be made with regards to the plan without getting Turkey’s permission, according to anonymous diplomatic sources quoted by the Turkish news agency.

Israel, Cyprus and Greece signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Monday in a project called the “Euro-Asia Interconnector.”

The note sent by Turkey claimed that the proposed undersea cable passes through its territorial waters in the eastern Mediterranean Sea.

The three countries carried out a joint naval exercise last week, which comes amid tensions with Turkey over the control of energy resources in the Mediterranean. Turkey sent a gas survey ship into Greek and Cypriot waters last year that also raised concerns in the region.

The president condemned violence “by a lawless mob in Judea and Samaria,” prompting criticism from the national security minister.
Days earlier, a Jewish security group warned police about a heightened security risk at the Chanukah event.
The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.