Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Japanese firm determined to keep ‘Nazi-tainted’ Van Gogh

According to heir’s lawsuit, Sompo’s predecessor purchased the picture “in reckless disregard of its provenance, including Mendelssohn-Bartholdy’s forced sale of the painting in Nazi Germany in 1934.”

Vincent van Gogh, self-portrait. Source: vangoghmuseum.nl/en.
Vincent van Gogh, self-portrait. Source: vangoghmuseum.nl/en.

Following the filing of a US lawsuit by the family of the painting’s previous owner, a Japanese business has defended its ownership of Vincent van Gogh’s “Sunflowers,” which it purchased at auction in 1987.

The painting, one of five original versions of the iconic still life, was purchased at Christie’s in London for $40 million by the forerunner of insurance giant Sompo Holdings, briefly becoming the world’s most expensive picture.

Last month, the family of the painting’s former owner, Jewish banker Paul von Mendelsohn-Bartholdy, filed a lawsuit in Illinois demanding the artwork’s return and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” (December 1888-January 1889). Sompo Museum, Tokyo.
Van Gogh’s Sunflowers (December 1888-January 1889). Sompo Museum, Tokyo.

According to the lawsuit, Sompo’s predecessor, Yasuda Fire & Marine Insurance, purchased the picture “in reckless disregard of its provenance, including Mendelssohn-Bartholdy’s forced sale of the painting in Nazi Germany in 1934.”

“Sompo Holdings wrongfully has employed the Painting to reap billions of dollars of unjust enrichment through a sophisticated branding strategy,” the lawsuit said.

“Defendants have commercially exploited as a corporate emblem what they long have all but known was a Nazi-tainted artwork.”

However, Sompo Holdings defended its ownership of the painting in a statement to AFP on Tuesday, stating it “categorically rejects the complaint’s allegations of wrongdoing.”

The company “intends to vigorously defend its ownership rights in ‘Sunflowers.’”

David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.