Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Report: Mossad thwarts Iranian plot to kill Israeli diplomat in Istanbul

Israeli agents interrogated Mansour Rassouli in his home in Iran, according to Israeli media reports • Other assassination targets reportedly included a U.S. general in Germany and a journalist in France.

This picture, released along with what Israeli media claimed was an audio clip of excerpts from his interrogation in Iran, shows Mansour Rassouli, 52, of Iran, who was reportedly part of an Iranian plot to assassinate an Israeli diplomat in Turkey, along with a U.S. general in Germany and a journalist in France. Source: Twitter.
This picture, released along with what Israeli media claimed was an audio clip of excerpts from his interrogation in Iran, shows Mansour Rassouli, 52, of Iran, who was reportedly part of an Iranian plot to assassinate an Israeli diplomat in Turkey, along with a U.S. general in Germany and a journalist in France. Source: Twitter.

Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency has thwarted a plot to assassinate an Israeli diplomat in Istanbul, as well as a U.S. general in Germany and a Jewish journalist in France, Israeli media reported on Saturday.

Mansour Rassouli confessed to Israeli agents during an interrogation in his home in Iran that he had been tasked with the assassinations by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, according to veteran Israeli journalist Alon Ben-David.

The London-based Iran International reported that Rassouli is a member of the IRGC’s Quds Force’s Unit 840, which is responsible for the planning and execution of overseas operations. Citing a diplomatic source, Iran International initially reported that Rassouli had been detained in Turkey, but Israeli media reports later contradicted this version of events.

An audio clip, ostensibly a part of Rassouli’s interrogation, was released for publication on Saturday. In it, he can be heard stating his name and that of his father, before giving details of the assassination plot, stating that he had “made a mistake” and vowing to take no further steps in connection with it.

Rassouli told his interrogators he had received $150,000 from the IRGC to prepare for the mission, and that he was to receive an additional $1 million after carrying out the assassinations, according to Iran International.

David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.