Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Cabinet approves Israel Katz as foreign minister

Katz previously served as Jerusalem’s top diplomat in 2019-2020.

Energy and Infrastructure Minister Israel Katz arrives for a Cabinet meeting in Jerusalem, May 7, 2023. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
Energy and Infrastructure Minister Israel Katz arrives for a Cabinet meeting in Jerusalem, May 7, 2023. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

The Israeli Cabinet voted on Sunday to appoint Likud Party member Israel Katz as the country’s foreign minister, replacing Eli Cohen.

Cohen, also a Likud member, will replace Katz as energy and infrastructure minister and continue to serve in the high-level Security Cabinet.

The full Knesset must now approve the appointments.

Katz, 68, the son of Romanian Holocaust survivors, first ran for Knesset in 1996 and previously served as Jerusalem’s top diplomat from February 2019 to May 2020. He has also held the Agriculture, Transport, Finance and Intelligence portfolios.

Katz has served as energy and infrastructure minister since the Netanyahu-led government came to power in December of last year.

In August, Katz became the current government’s first member to visit the United Arab Emirates.

The 51-year-old Cohen is an accountant by training who entered politics with the Kulanu Party in 2015. From 2017-2021, he served as economy minister and then as intelligence minister.

Cohen followed Kulanu into Likud when the parties merged in 2020.

The president condemned violence “by a lawless mob in Judea and Samaria,” prompting criticism from the national security minister.
Days earlier, a Jewish security group warned police about a heightened security risk at the Chanukah event.
The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.