Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Gallant to meet Austin in Washington

The two defense ministers last met in Brussels in June.

Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant welcomes U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin at Ben-Gurion International Airport on March 9, 2023. Photo by Ariel Hermoni/Israel Defense Ministry.
Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant welcomes U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin at Ben-Gurion International Airport on March 9, 2023. Photo by Ariel Hermoni/Israel Defense Ministry.

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant will meet with his U.S. counterpart Lloyd Austin in Washington later this month.

The two men previously met in Brussels in June and before that in March during Austin’s visit to Israel.

The past meetings focused primarily on countering the Iranian threat, expanding the Abraham Accords and strengthening U.S.-Israel military cooperation.

“During the visit, Minister Gallant will meet with additional senior U.S. officials to discuss security challenges and opportunities in the Middle East,” his office said on Sunday.

Gallant traveled to the United States in August for meetings at the United Nations in New York, including with Secretary-General António Guterres, U.S. Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern Affairs Barbara Leaf and National Security Council Middle East coordinator Brett McGurk.

Gallant’s trip to Washington will mark the effective end to an unofficial ban on ministers traveling to D.C. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu imposed because he had not been invited to the White House.

Nine months after assuming office, Netanyahu met with U.S. President Joe Biden last month on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly annual general debate.

The two leaders discussed a prospective Israel-Saudi normalization deal, Iran’s drive to obtain nuclear weapons, the strength and resilience of Israel’s democracy and enhancing bilateral ties.

Biden invited Netanyahu to visit Washington sometime by the end of the year.

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.