Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Prosecutors charge Israeli Arab over alleged ISIS-inspired terror plot

The suspect, identified as a resident of the Triangle region of Arab towns east of Netanya, was detained last month.

Israeli Arabs protest in Umm al-Fahm, Oct. 22, 2021. Photo by Jamal Awad/Flash90.
Israeli Arabs protest in Umm al-Fahm, Oct. 22, 2021. Photo by Jamal Awad/Flash90.

Israeli authorities on Wednesday filed charges against an 18-year-old Arab Israeli accused of plotting a terrorist attack inspired by ISIS, according to the Israel Police and Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency).

The suspect, a resident of the Triangle region of Arab towns east of Netanya, was arrested last month in a joint operation by the Shin Bet and the Israel Police Central District’s Central Unit.

The investigation found that the suspect had sought to learn how to manufacture bombs and improvised explosive devices in preparation for a terrorist attack. He was also reportedly in possession of other illegal weapons.

Following the conclusion of the police investigation, the Central District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday filed an indictment in Juvenile Court and requested that the suspect remain in custody for the duration of the trial.

The Shin Bet and Israel Police emphasized that they “view with great severity any involvement of Israeli citizens in activities that endanger state security” and vowed to “continue to take all necessary measures to thwart threats and ensure that all those involved are brought to justice.”

Since the start of the war against Hamas in Gaza 25 months ago, there have been at least 26 cases of Israelis pledging allegiance to ISIS and other terrorist organizations, Kan News reported in March.

On Nov. 2, authorities filed charges against a 14-year-old Arab who allegedly planned to carry out terrorist attacks—including the assassination of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu—on behalf of Al-Qaeda.

The suspect, identified only as a resident of central Israel, was active in a Signal chat group titled “Cyber and Armed Jihad Movement,” which was operated by a “foreign agent affiliated with Al-Qaeda,” according to the indictment filed by the State Attorney’s Office.

See more from JNS Staff
Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, of Park Avenue Synagogue, told JNS that he will address “Yizkor, memory and revelation,” rather than politics, during Shavuot morning services.
“The bill will continue to return our intelligence agencies back to their core mission: the collection of clandestine foreign intelligence to protect our homeland,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.
“There’s much that goes into a security-layered approach, and as far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many layers,” the village’s police chief told JNS.
Removing sanctions on the anti-Israel United Nations adviser “will undermine important national security and foreign policy interests of the United States,” the Justice Department said.
“Reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” warned Nickolay Mladenov, amid a stalled peace process he largely blamed on the Gazan terror group.
Regardless of the findings of a recent Democratic National Committee “autopsy” report, a “majority of Americans, including Democrats, support the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Brian Romick, of Democratic Majority for Israel, told JNS.