Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Russian Justice Ministry asks court to dissolve operations of Jewish Agency in Russia

The attempt to punish Israel for its stance on the war with Ukraine is “deplorable and offensive. The Jews of Russia cannot be detached from their historical and emotional connection to the State of Israel,” said Israeli Diaspora Affairs Minister Nachman Shai.

The Moscow Choral Synagogue, the main synagogue in Russia, Dec. 1, 2014. The synagogue opened in 1906 after the Czarist government was forced to lift all bans on worship. Photo by Hadas Parush/Flash90.
The Moscow Choral Synagogue, the main synagogue in Russia, Dec. 1, 2014. The synagogue opened in 1906 after the Czarist government was forced to lift all bans on worship. Photo by Hadas Parush/Flash90.

Russian authorities are calling for the “dissolution” of the Jewish Agency for Israel’s operations in Russia, according to multiple news reports in Russia and Israel on Thursday.

According to Interfax, a request was made by the Russian Ministry of Justice to the Basmanny District Court in Moscow, alleging “legal violations” with a preliminary hearing set for July 28.

“The court received an administrative lawsuit filed by the Moscow branch of the Russian Justice Ministry to shut down and remove from the Unified State Register of Legal Entities the autonomous nonprofit organization Jewish Agency for Israel ‘Sohnut,’ which provides support for relations with the Jewish community,” the court’s spokesperson Yekaterina Buravtsova told Interfax.

The organization, which has operated in Russia since 1989, is a quasi-governmental international nonprofit organization working on strengthening ties between Jewish communities around the world and assisting in aliyah.

In a statement emailed to JNS, the Jewish Agency stated that “further to information published today regarding the Jewish Agency and Russia, the Jewish Agency wishes to clarify that a preliminary hearing on this matter, which is a continuation of the legal process, has been set for July 28. As we have previously stated, we are not making any comment during the course of the legal proceedings.”

According to The Times of Israel, the Jewish Agency was sent a letter last month by the Russian Justice Ministry, which included demands that the organization was unable to agree to. The letter also threatened legal action if the agency did not agree to the terms, which is now being followed through with.

While it continues to operate normally in Russia for the time being and has tried to deal with the situation without drawing attention, it has also asked for the Israeli Foreign Ministry to intervene on its behalf.

“Russian Jews will not be held hostage by the war in Ukraine,” Israeli Diaspora Affairs Minister Nachman Shai tweeted on Thursday. “The attempt to punish the Jewish Agency for Israel’s stance on the war is deplorable and offensive. The Jews of Russia cannot be detached from their historical and emotional connection to the State of Israel.”

The same day, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid held a situation assessment with members of Israel’s Foreign Affairs Ministry and the National Security Council, according to a news release from the Prime Minister’s Office. The officials decided to send a joint delegation to Russia from the Prime Minister’s Office, as well as from the Foreign Affairs, and Justice and Aliyah and Integration ministries to help ensure the agency’s continued operation in Russia.

An inter-agency discussion on the topic has been scheduled for Sunday.

“The Jewish community in Russia is deeply connected with Israel. Its importance arises in every diplomatic discussion with the Russian leadership,” said Lapid. “We will continue to act through diplomatic channels so that the Jewish Agency’s important activity will not cease.”

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.