Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli airlifts start bringing home stranded citizens

The four Israeli carriers, led by El Al, are working to bring home thousands of Israelis each day on the repatriation flights from select international cities such as nearby Larnaca and Athens, chosen by the airlines.

El Al rescue flight lands at Ben Gurion Airport near Tel Aviv, June 18, 2025. Photo by Yossi Aloni/Flash90.
El Al rescue flight lands at Ben Gurion Airport near Tel Aviv, June 18, 2025. Photo by Yossi Aloni/Flash90.

Israeli airlines began flying home thousands of citizens on Wednesday who were stranded abroad by the closure of the country’s international airport following last week’s preemptive Israeli strike against Iranian nuclear and military sites.

The four Israeli carriers, led by El Al, are working to bring home thousands of Israelis each day on the repatriation flights from select international cities such as nearby Larnaca and Athens, chosen by the airlines.

The limited one-way flights, which were completely sold out, were pre-assigned to ticketed passengers whose return flights had been previously cancelled.

“We are waiting for all of you,” Israeli Transportation Minister Miri Regev told the pilot of the first El Al fight to land from the control tower on Wednesday morning. “We are very excited to receive the first rescue flight as part of the ‘Safe Return’ operation, and are preparing for the airlift to repatriate all Israelis.”

Regev, who launched the repatriation flights with much fanfare, had come under stinging criticism for remarking earlier this week that Israelis stranded abroad should take the opportunity to enjoy themselves.

In addition to Israel’s national carrier, three smaller Israeli airlines were flying home passengers on Wednesday, including Arkia, Israir and Air Haifa.

The returning Israelis were fast-tracked through customs and baggage claims before being brought to long-term parking lots or put on trains or free shuttle buses to cities across the country, the Israel Airports Authority said. The public was urged not to come to the airport due to the current security situation.

About 150,000 Israelis have been stranded abroad since last weekend.

As of Wednesday, there were still no outbound flights from Israel. Israel’s airspace for commercial flights is to remain closed through at least Monday.

The head of Israel’s Civil Aviation Authority warned this weekend that it will take weeks before all Israelis stranded abroad are able to fly home.

Israeli carriers had relocated their planes to Larnaca, Cyprus, and Athens, Greece, immediately after the opening strike on Iran in line with the recommendations of a contingency plan developed ahead of time.

Meanwhile, the Israeli Tourism Ministry on Tuesday opened a digital registration procedure to assist the 38,000 tourists stuck in Israel to sign up for specially coordinated departure flights from Tel Aviv as soon as they become available.

The online registration form is being distributed through various digital platforms to incoming tourism organizers, hotels, tour guides and other industry officials.

Some of the stranded tourists have already departed through land crossings to Egypt and Jordan despite Israeli security warnings against such travel. A group of visiting Jewish students also left by boat to Cyprus.

Etgar Lefkovits, an award-winning international journalist, is an Israel correspondent and a feature news writer for JNS. A native of Chicago, he has two decades of experience in journalism, having served as Jerusalem correspondent in one of the world’s most demanding positions. He is currently based in Tel Aviv.
NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.