Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel’s high court blocked eviction of Palestinians in Jerusalem, for now

Sheikh Jarrah has been a focal point of tension, and Hamas used the issue as a pretext for violence against Israel, which eventually led to the 11-day war with Israel last year.

Palestinian protesters in Jerusalem's Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, Feb. 14, 2022. Photo by Yossi Zamir/Flash90.
Palestinian protesters in Jerusalem’s Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, Feb. 14, 2022. Photo by Yossi Zamir/Flash90.

Israel’s Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that families in the eastern Jerusalem Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood would not be evicted at the moment.

Israeli courts had ruled that Jews owned the land before 1948 and were subsequently occupied by Palestinians when Jordan controlled Jerusalem. However, the Supreme Court ruled that the families could stay in their homes for now.

Sheikh Jarrah has been a focal point of tension, and Hamas used the issue as a pretext for violence against Israel, which eventually led to the 11-day war with Israel last year.

In February, a senior member of Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) warned that it was prepared for a fresh round of fighting with Israel.

Khaled al-Batsh, who sits on the organization’s politburo in the Gaza Strip, told Palestinian radio, “What happened in the past was the starting point for ‘The Sword of Jerusalem,’ and we are ready to fight round two.” Batsh referred to PIJ and Hamas’s name of their military campaign during the war last year, which Israel called “Operation Guardian of the Walls.”

“For 20 years prior, secretly, I was learning Torah, I was learning the Bible, the biblical understanding of history, and I wanted to go to a place where I can live and also play,” the NBA legend said of his time playing in Israel.
“There is democracy within Likud,” Israeli Transportation and Road Safety Minister Miri Regev told JNS.
“Our rabbis reignited the candles, helped us breathe and found the words to respond to the moment in real time,” the Reform synagogue stated. “Our congregation refused to let hate extinguish our Shabbat light.”
Israeli forces killed a senior commander in Hezbollah’s Badr Unit in Southern Lebanon following the group’s attack on three soldiers within the Security Zone.