Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Hamas shows nothing has changed since the Holocaust

“Think Twice” with Jonathan Tobin and guest Col. Grisha Yakubovich, Ep. 166

Hamas thinks it has won the war it started on Oct. 7, 2023. That’s the conclusion of Col. Grisha Yakubovich, the retired Israeli officer and strategic analyst who joins JNS editor-in-chief Jonathan Tobin on this week’s episode of “Think Twice.”

Yakubovich believes that Hamas intends to keep fighting to destroy Israel. That’s a fact U.S. President Donald Trump needs to take into account when seeking to promote his reconstruction plan that calls for Palestinian Arabs who live in the Gaza Strip to be resettled elsewhere.

Yakubovich discussed the hypocrisy and double standards rooted in antisemitism by which Israel is judged during the current war, including that it is supposed to aid its enemies in Gaza, which only prolongs the war. While he’s reluctant to accept that this is caused by antisemitism, he says confronting that truth means that “nothing has changed” since the Holocaust.

Concerning Gaza’s future, he says Israel can’t resort to the sort of tactics that might force the Palestinian Arabs to surrender. But he says it can impose standards on those donating aid to Gaza that will ensure that the money doesn’t wind up in Hamas’s hands.

In his view, the main impact of the current conflict is that it has put off any hope for coexistence between the two peoples. He believes that the atrocities in southern Israel on Oct. 7 mean that it will take “three to five generations” for the wounds inflicted on the Israeli people to heal.

Donations to Gaza must be held accountable. He’s most worried, however, about what comes next in Judea and Samaria. Yakubovich believes that we’re on “the eve of a third intifada” and a “Palestinian civil war” between the Palestinian Authority and Hamas that might be even bloodier than what has happened in the last 16 months.

Listen/Subscribe to weekly episodes on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, iHeart Radio or wherever you listen to your podcasts.

Watch new episodes every week by subscribing to the JNS YouTube Channel.

Jonathan S. Tobin is editor-in-chief of the Jewish News Syndicate, a senior contributor for The Federalist, a columnist for Newsweek and a contributor to many other publications. He covers the American political scene, foreign policy, the U.S.-Israel relationship, Middle East diplomacy, the Jewish world and the arts. He hosts the JNS “Think Twice” podcast, both the weekly video program and the “Jonathan Tobin Daily” program, which are available on all major audio platforms and YouTube. Previously, he was executive editor, then senior online editor and chief political blogger, for Commentary magazine. Before that, he was editor-in-chief of The Jewish Exponent in Philadelphia and editor of the Connecticut Jewish Ledger. He has won more than 60 awards for commentary, art criticism and other writing. He appears regularly on television, commenting on politics and foreign policy. Born in New York City, he studied history at Columbia University.
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.