Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

NY congressman-elect George Santos under investigation for lying about past

“If a crime was committed in this county, we will prosecute it,” said Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly.

Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.). Credit: George Santos for Congress website.
Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.). Credit: George Santos for Congress website.

After revelations surfaced that George Santos, due to be sworn in as a congressman on Jan. 3, lied about his past, it was revealed on Wednesday that the Republican was under investigation by Long Island prosecutors.

Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly, a Republican, said the fabrications and inconsistencies were “nothing short of stunning.”

“The residents of Nassau County and other parts of the third district must have an honest and accountable representative in Congress,” said Donnelly. “If a crime was committed in this county, we will prosecute it.”

A spokesperson for the Nassau County DA’s office, Brendan Brosh, said Wednesday that they were looking into the matter. While the New York attorney general’s office has already said it is looking into issues that have come to light.

Among his falsehoods, Santos claimed that his mother was Jewish and that his grandparents fled from the Nazis. Santos also admitted to never graduating from any college, despite previously claiming to have received a degree from Baruch in 2010, and also confessed that he had “never worked directly” for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup.

Fellow Long Island Republican, Rep.-elect Nick Lalota, said he was troubled by the revelations.

“I believe a full investigation by the House Ethics Committee and, if necessary, law enforcement, is required,” Lalota said on Tuesday.

The Republican Jewish Coalition also put out a statement saying that Santos was no longer welcome at their events.

“We are very disappointed in Congressman-elect Santos,” RJC CEO Matt Brooks said in a statement on Tuesday. “He deceived us and misrepresented his heritage. In public comments and to us personally he previously claimed to be Jewish. He has begun his tenure in Congress on a very wrong note. He will not be welcome at any future RJC event.”

In a Twitter post on Wednesday, Santos suggested he had no plans to step down during his visit to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy earlier that day. Santos is scheduled to be sworn in next Tuesday when the U.S. House of Representatives reconvenes.

The kingdom said it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.