Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Outpost residents accuse Israeli police of violence during evacuation

Residents claim officers employed “severe” force against them during the demolition.

Medics dress the broken hand of a youth who claims police beat him during the evacuation of Givat Or Meir in the Binyamin region of Samaria, Sept. 27, 2023. Source: X.
Medics dress the broken hand of a youth who claims police beat him during the evacuation of Givat Or Meir in the Binyamin region of Samaria, Sept. 27, 2023. Source: X.

Israel Police and Civil Administration officials destroyed the Givat Or Meir outpost in the Binyamin region of Samaria on Wednesday afternoon.

Security personnel demolished a residential building and a sheep pen, according to reports.

Residents claim that the police employed “severe” violence against them during the demolition. One resident was arrested and another was severely beaten until his hand was broken, they said. Medics dressed the victim’s hand and took him to the hospital.

It was the second outpost security forces destroyed on Wednesday, the first being Givat Sde Yonatan, located in the same region.

One resident was arrested during the evacuation of Givat Or Meir in Samaria, Sept. 27, 2023. Source: X
One resident was arrested during the evacuation of Givat Or Meir in Samaria, Sept. 27, 2023. Source: X.

“The campaign of destruction continues: A few minutes ago, police forces raided Givat Or Meir, near the settlement of Ofra in Binyamin, and began demolishing the buildings on the hill,” tweeted Elisha Yered, an activist in the region and one of the founders of Givat Sde Yonatan.

“This is another hill[top community] that was also established about six months ago, and it seems that the goal of the [security] forces is to ‘straighten the line’ and make sure that all the new points that were established in the last year are evacuated,” Yered wrote.

Knesset member Limor Son Har-Melech of the Otzma Yehudit Party, took to X, formerly Twitter, responding to the destruction of the first outpost. She criticized Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, leader of the Religious Zionism Party, who is also in charge of civilian matters in Judea and Samaria.

“What’s gives, Bezalel? Police forces and the Civil Administration are now wreaking havoc on Givat Sde Yonatan in Binyamin. The youth building is being evacuated, the goat pen is being torn to pieces and all the equipment is being confiscated and put on a truck. Our right-wing government has apparently forgotten what it was elected for,” Son Har-Melech wrote.

“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”