Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Pence to address audience at annual AIPAC conference

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and other members of Congress are scheduled to speak.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence addresses the annual AIPAC Polic Conference in Washington, D.C., on March 25, 2019. Credit: AIPAC.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence addresses the annual AIPAC Polic Conference in Washington, D.C., on March 25, 2019. Credit: AIPAC.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is scheduled to address the annual AIPAC Policy Conference next week, announced the pro-Israel lobby on Monday.

Pence has spoken at the conference since U.S. President Donald Trump has been in office.

Trump, who has not addressed the conference since he was a candidate in 2016 after a speech that was rebuked by AIPAC, is not currently scheduled to attend this year’s conference, despite coming during an election year.

Monday’s development came a day after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the leading Democratic candidate for president, announced that he will skip the annual conference, as he did when he was running for president in 2016. AIPAC immediately criticized Sanders for the decision.

The move follows that of fellow Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who said earlier this month that she will not attend. AIPAC has declined to comment on the matter.

In addition to Pence, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and other members of Congress are scheduled to speak at the conference, announced AIPAC on Twitter.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.