Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Posters of freed hostages being taken down at Israeli airport

The final 20 living hostages were released last week as part of U.S. President Trump’s peace plan.

Posters of Israelis held hostage by Hamas in Gaza are displayed at Ben Gurion International Airport, near Tel Aviv, July 13, 2025. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.
Posters of Israelis held hostage by Hamas in Gaza are displayed at Ben Gurion International Airport, near Tel Aviv, July 13, 2025. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.

Posters of dozens of now-freed Israeli hostages that have lined Israel’s main international airport for nearly two years are being gradually removed in coordination with their families, the Israel Airports Authority said on Tuesday.

The posters are being taken down one by one by individual family members at their convenience, an airport spokeswoman said.

The Ben-Gurion Airport departure hall exhibition served as a reminder of the national anguish over the hostages taken during the Hamas-led Oct. 7, 2023 massacre, when 251 people were abducted to Gaza.

The final 20 living hostages were released on Oct. 13 as part of a ceasefire agreement.

Under the terms of the agreement, Hamas was also required to return all 28 bodies it was holding, but so far the terrorist group has returned only 15.

See more from JNS Staff
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”