Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Second Gentleman Emhoff to lead Holocaust remembrance efforts in Europe

Doug Emhoff, who has emerged as the Biden admin’s point man on Jew-hatred, to travel to Krakow and Berlin.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) in 2017 signing the guestbook at Yad Vashem as her husband, Doug Emhoff, looks on. Credit: Office of California Sen. Kamala Harris.
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) in 2017 signing the guestbook at Yad Vashem as her husband, Doug Emhoff, looks on. Credit: Office of California Sen. Kamala Harris.

The White House announced on Thursday that Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff will travel to Europe this month to participate in Holocaust remembrance events.

Emhoff, the husband of Vice President Kamala Harris, is set to visit Krakow, Poland, from Jan. 26 -29. On Jan. 27, Emhoff, joined by U.S. Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Antisemitism Deborah Lipstadt, is slated to visit the Memorial and Museum at Auschwitz-Birkenau. He will also participate in a wreath-laying ceremony and attend the annual commemoration of International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Emhoff and Lipstadt will then head to Berlin, where on Jan. 30-31 they are to attend a meeting of special envoys and coordinators working to combat antisemitism.

A statement from Emhoff’s office said that he will meet with local Jewish communities during his travels.

Emhoff, who has served as the Biden administration’s point man on matters of antisemitism, was reportedly set to meet today on Capitol Hill with the co-chairs of the House Bipartisan Task Force for Combating Antisemitism.

As the first Jewish spouse of a U.S. president or vice president, Emhoff has become increasingly vocal about his Jewish background and about the rising antisemitism in the country.

Last month, he led a roundtable with Jewish leaders at the White House. Addressing the topic of rising Jew-hatred, he said, “I understand the weight of this responsibility—I do.…And as second gentleman, let me reiterate, I will not remain silent. I’m proud to be Jewish, and I’m proud to live openly as a Jew. I am not afraid. We cannot live in fear. We refuse to be afraid.”

The White House recently announced the formation of an interagency task force to deal with antisemitism and other bigotry, led by staff from the Domestic Policy Council and the National Security Council. The group’s first order of business will be to formulate a national strategy to counter antisemitism.

David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.