Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Unknown attackers assault UNIFIL in Southern Lebanon

The U.N. force has called on Lebanese authorities to “investigate quickly and thoroughly, and prosecute all those responsible.”

U.N. peacekeepers associated with UNIFIL patrol the border between Israel and Lebanon as seen from Metula in northern Israel, Aug. 27, 2019. Photo by David Cohen/Flash90.
U.N. peacekeepers associated with UNIFIL patrol the border between Israel and Lebanon as seen from Metula in northern Israel, Aug. 27, 2019. Photo by David Cohen/Flash90.

Unknown suspects assaulted a group of personnel in Southern Lebanon associated with UNIFIL, the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon personnel, AP reported on Wednesday.

Attackers vandalized vehicles and stole official items, according to a report quoting a U.N. official.

Responding to the incident, UNIFIL called on Lebanese authorities to “investigate quickly and thoroughly, and prosecute all those responsible for these crimes,” said Kandice Ardiel, a UNIFIL press official. She added that the attack occurred on Tuesday night.

According to local Lebanese media, residents of Bint Jbeil in Southern Lebanon “scuffled with Irish peacekeepers who they said were taking photographs of residential homes,” said AP. The UNIFIL force was not being accompanied by any Lebanese forces.

Bint Jbeil, a recognized Hezbollah stronghold, was the scene of heavy fighting in the 2006 Second Lebanon War.

A U.N. spokesperson said that contrary to claims, “the peacekeepers were not taking photos and were not on private property,” adding that “the peacekeepers were on their way to meet members of the Lebanese army for a routine patrol.”

“UNIFIL condemns attacks on men and women serving the cause of peace, which are violations of both Lebanese and international law,” stated the spokesperson.

A similar incident with peacekeepers in Southern Lebanon late last year was condemned by Lebanon’s Foreign Ministry.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.