Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Bahrain changes tune, saying it won’t allow imports from Israeli settlements

Industry, Commerce and Tourism Minister Zayed bin Rashid Al Zayani’s recent statement was “misinterpreted,” says state news agency

Israeli National Security Adviser Meir Ben-Shabbat (left), signs a joint communique with Bahraini Foreign Minister Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani in Manama, Bahrain, on Oct. 18, 2020. Credit: Haim Zach/GPO.
Israeli National Security Adviser Meir Ben-Shabbat (left), signs a joint communique with Bahraini Foreign Minister Abdullatif bin Rashid Al Zayani in Manama, Bahrain, on Oct. 18, 2020. Credit: Haim Zach/GPO.

Bahrain will not allow imports from Israeli settlements in Judea and Samaria, Bahrain’s Industry, Commerce and Tourism Ministry said on Friday, according to a report by the state news agency BNA. The ministry’s statement contradicted the country’s trade minister, who said during a visit to Israel last week that they would be allowed.

Bahraini Industry, Commerce and Tourism Minister Zayed bin Rashid Al Zayani’s statement “was misinterpreted,” said the ministry, adding that “the ministry is committed to the Bahraini government’s unwavering stance regarding adherence to the resolutions of the United Nations, the Arab League and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation concerning the Israeli settlements in the West Bank and the Syrian Golan Heights.”

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki claimed that in a phone conversation with him, Zayani had denied ever making the comments.

“The alleged comments ... totally contradicted his country’s [Bahrain] supportive position of the Palestinian cause,” said a statement from Maliki’s office, according to Reuters.

Al Zayani was in Israel last week as head of a 40-member delegation, where he signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with his Israeli counterpart Orit Farkash-Hacohen at a ceremony in Jerusalem on Wednesday.

The sites contained anti-tank missiles, long-range weapons, RPGs, tactical vests and other combat equipment.
Israeli troops are operating in the area in accordance with ceasefire understandings.
“We demand an explanation from the Spanish government regarding its treatment of the flotilla anarchists,” the Foreign Ministry wrote.
Seven Israeli soldiers were wounded in the incident, which was captured on camera.
Police uncovered materials believed to be capable of use in the manufacture of explosives.
The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, and a bystander was hit in the gunfire, the agency said.