Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

First round of Israel-Bahrain free trade talks successful

Such an accord would be the second with an Abraham Accords state.

The Israeli and Bahraini delegations during free trade talks in Manama. Credit: Israel's Economy Ministry.
The Israeli and Bahraini delegations during free trade talks in Manama. Credit: Israel’s Economy Ministry.

The first round of talks on a free trade deal between Israel and Bahrain ended satisfactorily on Monday, according to the Israeli Economy Ministry.

The teams from the two countries began the negotiations last week in Bahrain’s capital, Manama. According to the ministry, they discussed “a wide range of problems, including trade in products, regulation and standards, customs, trade in services, government procurement, e-commerce and the protection of intellectual property rights.”

The “quick progress in the negotiations” indicates the “high importance that both sides give to this agreement,” the ministry stated on Facebook.

If an agreement is struck, it will mark the second time Israel has signed such an accord with an Arab state following the signing of the Abraham Accords. In May, a similar pact was reached with the United Arab Emirates.

“The worst thing about J Street is it’s duplicitous,” Amb. Yechiel Leiter, the Israeli envoy in Washington, said at an event on Monday.
Authorities say about 100 fliers containing antisemitic imagery and language were thrown from a vehicle onto residential streets early Saturday, prompting increased patrols in the area.
“Hatred directed against one faith community is a threat to every faith community,” the World Jewish Congress stated after authorities responded to reported gunfire and possible casualties at the Clairemont center.
“Serious negotiations are now taking place,” the U.S. president said, adding that the U.S. military remains prepared to launch a “full, large-scale assault” if talks fail.
It’s vital to “honor the contributions—some of the many contributions—of Jewish Americans,” Katy Yaroslavsky said at a joint council meeting/honorary event.
Federal prosecutors allege that Zaid Gitesatani punched a Jewish man outside Adas Torah Synagogue during an anti-Israel protest and later boasted about the attack on social media.