Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli FM asks former VP Pence to help free hostages

Jerusalem “has no choice but to hunt down and destroy Hamas,” the visiting American tweeted.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz meets with former U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, Jan. 7, 2024. Credit: Israeli Foreign Ministry.
Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz meets with former U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, Jan. 7, 2024. Credit: Israeli Foreign Ministry.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz met with former U.S. Vice President Mike Pence in Tel Aviv on Sunday alongside families of hostages held captive by the Hamas terrorist organization in the Gaza Strip.

“Mike Pence is a true friend of Israel who has stood by our side as a governor and vice president. I met with him today to enlist his help in our public relations campaign in the United States and to assist in the return of the hostages,” said the foreign minister, according to his office.

“Family members of the hostages Idan Alexander and Dror Or attended the meeting and told their stories to former Vice President Pence. I could tell that for him, they were like his own children. We will continue to do everything for their return,” Katz added.

Katz, who was installed as foreign minister last week, has vowed to make the return of the hostages his ministry’s top priority.

Since arriving in the Jewish state on Jan. 4, Pence has met with a variety of Israeli officials, including President Isaac Herzog, Knesset Speaker Amir Ohana and military leaders.

The American also visited southern communities devastated during Hamas’s Oct. 7 cross-border massacre and met with survivors. On Saturday night, Pence attended a Havdalah ceremony marking the end of Shabbat, with Israeli families displaced from their homes.

“Hamas perpetrated unspeakable acts of evil that day and Israel has no choice but to hunt down and destroy Hamas once and for all. America Stands With Israel,” Pence wrote on X on Thursday following a visit to Kibbutz Kfar Aza, where Hamas terrorists murdered 56 people on Oct. 7.

“By taking steps to dismantle these financial channels, the United States aims to deny the Iranian regime the resources it uses to threaten regional stability,” said State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott.
“The pro-terror flotilla is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region,” the U.S. treasury secretary said.
“We have a responsibility to confront antisemitism, defend democratic values and ensure every resident feels safe,” said Steven Meiner, mayor of Miami Beach.
The public university stated that the graduate student violated rules that were sent out prior to graduation and that several participants were removed from various ceremonies for carrying different flags, including U.S. and Ukrainian ones.
Rep. Adam Smith, ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, told JNS that “the far-right and the far-left have decided that threats and intimidation are another way to try to either drive people out or make them so scared that they acquiesce.”
Major New York City Jewish leaders boycotted the event, to which JNS was told there was no room for it to report.