Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Harris leaves door open for consequences if IDF enters Rafah

“We have been clear in multiple conversations and in every way that any major military operation in Rafah would be a huge mistake,” says the U.S. vice president.

Kamala Harris
Vice President Kamala Harris looks on as U.S. President Joe Biden delivers remarks at a reception for new members of Congress on in the East Room of the White House on Jan. 24, 2023. Credit: Erin Scott/White House.

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris said on Sunday that a prospective Israeli military operation in Gaza’s Rafah city would be a “huge mistake” and refused to rule out consequences should Jerusalem fail to heed the Biden administration’s warnings.

“We have been clear in multiple conversations and in every way that any major military operation in Rafah would be a huge mistake,” Harris said in an interview on ABC News‘s “This Week.”

“I have studied the maps. There’s nowhere for those folks to go. We’re looking at about a million-and-a-half people in Rafah who are there because they were told to go there, most of them,” she added.

When asked if there could be consequences if Israel presses ahead with plans to invade Hamas’s last remaining stronghold, Harris said: “We’re going to take it one step at a time, but we’ve been very clear in terms of our perspective on whether or not that should happen.”

When pressed further on the matter, she added: “I am ruling out nothing.”

On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stressed that Israeli forces would enter Rafah with or without support from the United States.

“There were times we agreed with our friends, and there were times we did not agree with them,” the premier said. “Ultimately, we always did what was necessary for our safety, and we will do so this time as well.”

During a phone call with Netanyahu on Monday, U.S. President Joe Biden stated that he could not support a major military offensive against Hamas in Rafah. Instead, the White House favors a limited operation aimed at high-value targets and securing the Gaza-Egypt border.

Netanyahu confirmed on Wednesday he had already approved the Israel Defense Forces’ operational plans for Rafah and said he would “soon” green-light an outline for the evacuation of noncombatants from the city.

On Friday, Netanyahu reiterated the message during a meeting in Tel Aviv with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

“I told [Blinken] that I hope we would [go into Rafah] with U.S. support but if necessary, we will do it alone,” he said.

Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, of Park Avenue Synagogue, told JNS that he will address “Yizkor, memory and revelation,” rather than politics, during Shavuot morning services.
“The bill will continue to return our intelligence agencies back to their core mission: the collection of clandestine foreign intelligence to protect our homeland,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.
“There’s much that goes into a security-layered approach, and as far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many layers,” the village’s police chief told JNS.
Removing sanctions on the anti-Israel United Nations adviser “will undermine important national security and foreign policy interests of the United States,” the Justice Department said.
“Reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” warned Nickolay Mladenov, amid a stalled peace process he largely blamed on the Gazan terror group.
Regardless of the findings of a recent Democratic National Committee “autopsy” report, a “majority of Americans, including Democrats, support the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Brian Romick, of Democratic Majority for Israel, told JNS.