This 2024 - Let's Win the Battle of Headlines
newsIsrael at War

Israeli who helped thwart Jerusalem terror attack dies of wounds

Israeli soldiers apparently mistook Yuval Doron Castleman for a Palestinian terrorist.

Israeli security forces at the scene of a Palestinian shooting attack at the entrance to Jerusalem, Nov. 30, 2023. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.
Israeli security forces at the scene of a Palestinian shooting attack at the entrance to Jerusalem, Nov. 30, 2023. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.

An Israeli civilian who fired on two Palestinian terrorists during a Thursday morning shooting attack died of his injuries.

Yuval Doron Castleman, a 37-year-old attorney, was at a bus stop at the main entrance to Jerusalem when two Palestinians arrived in a vehicle and began shooting at rush-hour commuters.

Castleman, who was armed with his personal weapon, and two off-duty soldiers engaged and killed the terrorists, but the attorney was wounded. The soldiers apparently mistook Castleman for a terrorist.

His death brings the death toll from the attack to four.

Also killed were 73-year-old Rabbi Elimelech Wasserman, who was a judge in the rabbinical court in Ashdod; Hanna Ifergan, a 67-year-old principal of a girl’s school in Beit Shemesh; and 24-year-old Livia Dickman of Jerusalem. Five other victims are hospitalized.

The two terrorists, both in their 30s, were identified as Murad Nemer and his brother Ibrahim, from eastern Jerusalem. The brothers were associated with Hamas and had previously been imprisoned for terror activities. The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) said that Murad was jailed from 2010 to 2020 for planning attacks under the direction of terror commanders in Gaza.

Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted on Telegram.

Police officials said on Friday morning that the Nemers’ home had been mapped out for demolition. Police added that they are increasing patrols in the city with the renewal of fighting in the Gaza Strip.

Minister-without-Portfolio Benny Gantz, a member of the War Cabinet, said that the attack strengthened Israel’s resolve to continue waging war against Hamas in Gaza.

“This terror attack is further proof of our obligation to continue to fight with strength and determination against murderous terrorism, which threatens our citizens. In Jerusalem, Gaza, in Judea and Samaria, and everywhere,” said Gantz.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said the attack and the quick response underscored the need to make it easier to obtain gun permits. Requests for gun licenses have soared since Hamas’s Oct. 7 massacre.

“This event illustrates how important the policy of distributing weapons is. Despite the criticism of all kinds of parties, I will continue this policy of handing out weapons everywhere. Weapons save lives; we see it time after time. Wherever there are weapons, citizens, policemen and soldiers save lives,” said Ben-Gvir.

You have read 3 articles this month.
Register to receive full access to JNS.

Israel is at war - Support JNS

JNS is combating the barrage of misinformation with factual reporting. We depend on your support.

Support JNS
Topics
Comments
Thank you. You are a loyal JNS Reader.
You have read more than 10 articles this month.
Please register for full access to continue reading and post comments.
Never miss a thing
Get the best stories faster with JNS breaking news updates