Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

NASA releases photographs of ‘Beresheet’ lunar crash

“The cameras captured a dark smudge, about 10 meters wide, that indicates the point of impact,” said NASA. “The dark tone suggests a surface roughened by the hard landing, which is less reflective than a clean, smooth surface.”

NASA released photos of the crash area by SpaceIL's “Beresheet” spacecraft, which failed to land on the moon, April 11, 2019. Credit: NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University.
NASA released photos of the crash area by SpaceIL’s “Beresheet” spacecraft, which failed to land on the moon, April 11, 2019. Credit: NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University.

NASA released pictures Wednesday of the moon after Israel’s “Beresheet” spacecraft crashed on the moon last month.

“The cameras captured a dark smudge, about 10 meters wide, that indicates the point of impact,” said NASA. “The dark tone suggests a surface roughened by the hard landing, which is less reflective than a clean, smooth surface.”

“There are many clues that we’re actually looking at a man-made crater, instead of a meteoroid-caused one,” added the agency. “This is an important consideration since the moon, having no atmosphere, is constantly bombarded by space rocks that leave craters.”

The spacecraft “Beresheet,” named after the first word and the first book in the Torah (meaning “in the beginning”), lifted off from Cape Canaveral on Feb. 21 and almost completed its 6.5-million-kilometer journey to the lunar surface.

Immediately after the result, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that Israel will make another attempt, likely in the next two to three years. SpaceIL chairman Morris Kahn said shortly thereafter that there will be a second attempt.

The SpaceIL effort was assisted by NASA. Only the United States, China, and Russia have landed crafts on the moon, with India working on it.

NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine told JNS earlier this month that the agency will “100 percent” be part of “Beresheet 2.”

“We look forward to it,” he said.

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.