Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Palestinians in Nablus burn effigy of Pompeo

The incident, which was broadcast by U.K.-based “Al-Araby Al-Jadeed,” came in response to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s visit to Israel and the Trump administration’s peace plan.

Palestinians burn an effigy of U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Nablus on May 14, 2020. (MEMRI)
Palestinians burn an effigy of U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Nablus on May 14, 2020. (MEMRI)

Palestinians in the city of Nablus in the West Bank burned an effigy of U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last week in protest of his visit to Israel on Wednesday and against the Trump administration’s Mideast peace plan.

Footage of the incident was posted by the London-based Al-Araby Al-Jadeed on Thursday.

“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”