Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

US condemns Jerusalem terror bombings

“The United States stands with the government and people of Israel,” says White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre in a statement.

U.S. President Joe Biden boards Air Force One for Saudi Arabia at Ben-Gurion Airport, July 15, 2022. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
U.S. President Joe Biden boards Air Force One for Saudi Arabia at Ben-Gurion Airport, July 15, 2022. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

The Biden administration on Wednesday denounced the twin terror bombings in Jerusalem earlier in the day that killed one Israeli teenager and injured more than 20 others.

“We condemn unequivocally the acts of terror overnight in Jerusalem. The United States has offered all appropriate assistance to the government of Israel as it investigates the attack and works to bring the perpetrators to justice,” White House Press Secretary Karine Jean Pierre said in a statement.

“We mourn the reported loss of life and wish a speedy recovery to the injured. The United States stands with the government and people of Israel. As President [Joe] Biden emphasized during his visit to Israel in July, our commitment to Israel’s security is ironclad and unbreakable,” she added.

The deceased was identified as 16-year-old Israeli-Canadian Aryeh Shechopek, a resident of Jerusalem’s Har Nof neighborhood who was studying at the Harei Yehudah yeshiva in Moshav Beit Meir.

United States Ambassador to Israel Tom Nides wrote on Twitter that he was “appalled” by the “cowardly” attack and that his “heart breaks for the families of those who were harmed.”

Nides later that confirmed that two of those injured on Wednesday are American citizens.

Authorities believe that the source of the blasts was two remotely detonated bombs packed with nails to cause maximum damage.

Police described the explosives as “high quality” and suggested an organized terror cell planned and carried out the attack.

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.