Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Sheikh Jarrah residents reject suggested compromise deal by ‘occupation court’

The settlement by Israel’s Supreme Court would have allowed the residents to remain in their homes for 15 years as “protected tenants.”

Mona el-Kurd and other residents of the Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah hold a press conference in Jerusalem, Nov. 2, 2021. Photo by Olivier Fitoussi/Flash90.
Mona el-Kurd and other residents of the Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah hold a press conference in Jerusalem, Nov. 2, 2021. Photo by Olivier Fitoussi/Flash90.

Arab residents of Jerusalem’s Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood rejected a deal on Tuesday that would have allowed them to remain in their homes for 15 years as “protected tenants.”

“We unanimously rejected the settlement offered by the occupation court,” said Muna el-Kurd, one of those facing eviction, referring to Israel’s Supreme Court, during a press conference, reported Reuters.

Seeking a compromise solution for a legal battle that has been going on since 1972, the Supreme Court proposed a deal in October that would have allowed four Arab families to remain in their homes, which have Jewish owners. The residents were given until Nov. 2 to accept the compromise.

The court, which had been set to issue a final ruling on the Sheikh Jarrah case in May, postponed the decision due to an outbreak of violence in Jerusalem and a worldwide campaign that turned the case into an international cause célèbre.

On May 10, Hamas and other terror factions in the Gaza Strip launched a rocket attack on Jerusalem, sparking an 11-day conflict with Israel that resulted in more than 4,000 rockets sent across the border towards Israeli civilian populations. It ended in a ceasefire on May 21.

Chayim Frenkel told JNS that “it’s a whole brand new sound system, brand new room, but it’s still my KI.”
“In many ways, speaking openly about faith can actually feel more natural outside of Washington,” Arielle Roth, administrator of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, told JNS.
“I firmly believe that acknowledging any one people’s pain does not preclude you from the acknowledgment of another people’s,” the New York City mayor said.
“The worst thing about J Street is it’s duplicitous,” Yechiel Leiter, the Israeli envoy in Washington, said at a National Task Force to Combat Antisemitism event at Museum of the Bible on Monday.
Authorities say about 100 fliers containing antisemitic imagery and language were thrown from a vehicle onto residential streets early Saturday, prompting increased patrols in the area.
“Hatred directed against one faith community is a threat to every faith community,” the World Jewish Congress stated after authorities responded to reported gunfire and casualties at the Clairemont center.