Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Chabad of Poway gunman to face death penalty for murder of 60-year-old congregant

“Jury selection will take some time because potential jurors will have to be screened for their views,” reported “The San Diego Union-Tribune.”

Poway synagogue shooter John Earnest. Source: Screenshot.
Poway synagogue shooter John Earnest. Source: Screenshot.

The San Diego County District Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday that it will seek the death penalty against John Earnest, the 20-year-old man charged with shooting and killing congregant Lori Gilbert-Kaye, 60, and wounding three people, including senior Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, at Chabad of Poway in Southern California during Shabbat-morning services on April 27, 2019.

The trial is slated to begin on June 2 though attorneys are scheduled to return to court next month to figure out a likely timeline for the proceedings.

“Jury selection will take some time because potential jurors will have to be screened for their views on the death penalty,” reported The San Diego Union-Tribune.

If Earnest is convicted, the jury will then be asked to recommend whether the defendant should face capital punishment or life in prison without the possibility of parole. The judge will ultimately make the final decision.

Whether Earnest could be executed if found guilty will remain at issue after a moratorium was set in place by Gov. Gavin Newsom last year on carrying out the death penalty in California. The execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison was shuttered.

In May, Earnest was charged with 113 federal hate crime-related counts. He has pleaded not guilty to all state and federal charges.

Four Republicans voted with nearly every Democrat to discharge the war powers resolution calling for U.S. President Donald Trump to withdraw American forces from hostilities with Iran.
“I would like to see something that says, ‘And here’s what’s going to be there instead,’” Rep. Adam Smith, ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, told JNS.
In a report delivered to the U.N. Security Council, the board says the terrorist organization’s refusal to give up its weapons remains “the principal obstacle to full implementation” of the Gaza ceasefire.
“Over time, the members of the Congress, both houses, both parties, are going to understand that this is a cost that is not only affordable but absolutely a necessary investment,” Eric Fingerhut, president and CEO of the Jewish Federations of North America, told JNS.
The U.S. secretary of state cited “overwhelming support” for a U.S.-Bahrain resolution demanding Tehran halt attacks and remove sea mines from the strategic waterway.
“At their core, sanctions are not acts of aggression,” Scott Bessent said at an annual terrorism funding conference. “They are instruments of peace.”