Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

New York governor orders flags to half-staff to honor Omer Neutra

“This horrific news shakes all New Yorkers to our core,” Kathy Hochul said in response to the death of Omer Neutra.

U.S. flag at half-staff
U.S. flag lowered to half-mast. Credit: Jonathan Simcoe via Wikimedia Commons.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul directed flags at all state buildings to be lowered to half-staff following the Dec. 2 announcement by the Israel Defense Forces of Omer Neutra’s death.

Neutra, 21, a tank platoon commander from Oyster Bay, N.Y., was previously thought to be among the living hostages currently being held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip. The new intelligence information revealed that he had been killed during the Hamas-led terror attacks in southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, and that his body had been taken by the terrorists.

“For months, we’ve prayed for the safe return of Omer Neutra and all those kidnapped by Hamas on Oct. 7,” Hochul said. “This horrific news shakes all New Yorkers to our core.”

“We pray that his body can be returned to his family,” she said.

Flags across the state, as well as all flags at town-owned facilities in Oyster Bay, will be flown at half-mast on the day of Neutra’s funeral, which will be selected by his family.

“It is with deep sadness that we learn of the tragic loss of Omer Neutra, a beloved son of the Town of Oyster Bay and IDF soldier, who was killed by Hamas terrorists,” Town Supervisor Joseph Saladino said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Omer’s family, friends and all who loved him. This is a time of unbearable grief and a tragic loss for our entire town.”

“May the memory of Omer be a source of strength to those mourning his loss,” he added.

An American Jewish Committee spokesman told JNS that the group is “grateful for the severity with which the Justice Department is handling this case.”
NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.