Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Ultra-Orthodox using basic cell phones miss missiles alerts

Many haredi Jews in Israel use so-called “kosher phones” to curtail exposure to what they see as harmful influences.

A teacher holds up his cellular phone, certificating that it is a "kosher" one, at the entrance to an ultra-Orthodox school in Jerusalem, May 6, 2020. Photo by Nati Shohat/Flash90.
A teacher holds up his cellular phone, certificating that it is a “kosher” one, at the entrance to an ultra-Orthodox school in Jerusalem, May 6, 2020. Photo by Nati Shohat/Flash90.

Hundreds of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Israelis who use basic cell phones do not receive early warning notification of incoming Iranian missiles.

The older model cell phones, which do not have access to the internet or messaging apps of smartphones, do not have the technology to receive the message alerts from the IDF Home Front Command when the missiles are first fired.

A group of ultra-Orthodox rabbis recently met with Israeli military representatives to come up with alternatives for such phone users such as a special ringtone, Israel’s Channel 12 News reported.

Many haredi Jews in Israel use modified cell phones dubbed “kosher phones,” in an effort to curtail exposure to what they see as harmful influences of the internet on their religious and cultural values.

Last year, the Israeli military first warned against the use of such phones while going on hikes, when users could also be out of range of air-raid sirens.

Six men attacked 22-year-old Shalev Ben Yakar outside a Golders Green hotel after hearing him speak Hebrew on the phone, he told British media and police.
Washington launched the maritime operation on April 13.
Amid sanctions talk, Israel’s foreign minister said moves by some E.U. governments compromise relations with Israel and the United States.
Noa Arazi’s personal journey inspires a new organization to guide converts worldwide.
Nadia Khir, 58, is a veteran and highly respected gynecologist.
Trump said Gulf states urged a brief delay of planned U.S. military action by “two or three days,” citing progress toward a deal to keep nuclear weapons out of Tehran’s hands.