Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Palestinian leadership tones down criticism of UAE-Israel peace deal

Ahead of the Arab League meeting in Cairo to discuss the normalization agreement, Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas has dropped calls for action against the UAE from a draft resolution.

Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas delivers a speech regarding the coronavirus outbreak, at the Palestinian Authority headquarters, in the West Bank city of Ramallah, May 5, 2020. Photo by Flash90.
Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas delivers a speech regarding the coronavirus outbreak, at the Palestinian Authority headquarters, in the West Bank city of Ramallah, May 5, 2020. Photo by Flash90.

Ahead of Wednesday’s meeting of the Arab League in Cairo to discuss the Israel-United Arab Emirates normalization agreement, the Palestinian leadership has toned down its criticism of the move.

While the Palestinian Authority has harshly criticized the UAE since the deal was announced on Aug. 13, a draft resolution by the P.A. seen by Reuters does not condemn or call for action against the UAE.

The Palestinian draft says the accord “doesn’t diminish Arab consensus over the Palestinian cause, the Palestinian cause is the cause of the entire Arab nation,” according to Reuters.

“The trilateral announcement doesn’t change the principal Arab vision based on the fact that the two-state solution on the 1967 borders is the only way to achieve peace in the Middle East,” it stated.

Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas on Tuesday also banned any offensive criticism toward any Arab leaders, according to the report.

Abbas spokesman Nabil Abu Rdeneh last month called the normalization deal “treason” and demanded that the UAE cancel it.

The official Palestinian news agency WAFA reported at the time that P.A. Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki announced that following Abbas’s order, the P.A.’s ambassador to the UAE would be recalled.

On Monday, Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf Secretary-General Nayef al-Hajraf demanded an apology from the Palestinian leadership.

“I condemn the irresponsible language that included incitement and threats,” said al-Hajraf.

“We’re probably the only city in the state and in the country that raised the Israeli flag on our City Hall, next to our state flag, next to the American flag, and it stayed there for four months,” the mayor-elect told JNS.
The faction is “an extension” of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force and is “not a Lebanese resistance movement,” a State Department official said.
“These maniacs are on the ropes, and these historic measures will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide,” said the U.S. president.
The Israeli premier warned Ankara against military entrenchment south of Aleppo following an attack on the Abu al-Duhur airbase early Tuesday morning.