Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Police boost forces in Jerusalem following deadly twin bombings

Police presence has been bolstered throughout the capital, with a specific emphasis placed on high-density public sites • The alert level has been raised across the country.

Police and security personnel at the scene of a terror attack in Jerusalem, Nov. 23, 2022. Photo by Olivier Fitoussil/Flash90.
Police and security personnel at the scene of a terror attack in Jerusalem, Nov. 23, 2022. Photo by Olivier Fitoussil/Flash90.

Jerusalem District Police chief Doron Turgeman on Wednesday ordered the deployment of additional personnel in Jerusalem, following two deadly terrorist bombings in the city earlier in the day.

Forces will be bolstered throughout the capital, with a specific focus on high-density public areas, according to a police statement. The alert level has been raised across the country, according to a police spokesman.

Sixteen-year-old Israeli-Canadian Aryeh Shechopek was killed and more than 20 injured Wednesday morning in two explosions at bus stops located near entrances to Jerusalem.

“I am sending condolences on behalf of all citizens of Israel to the family of Aryeh Shechopek ... who was killed today in the terrible terrorist attack. May his memory be for a blessing,” Israeli Prime Minister-designate Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted in the attack’s aftermath.

The first explosion occurred near the main entrance to the Israeli capital shortly after 7 a.m., and the second followed about 30 minutes later, at the Ramot junction.

The Biden administration denounced the bombings, with White House Press Secretary Karine Jean Pierre saying in a statement, “We condemn unequivocally the acts of terror overnight in Jerusalem. The United States has offered all appropriate assistance to the government of Israel as it investigates the attack and works to bring the perpetrators to justice.”

U.S. Ambassador to Israel Thomas Nides confirmed on Wednesday night that two American citizens were among those wounded.

“Sadly, I can now confirm that two U.S. citizens were among those injured in today’s terror attacks in Jerusalem,” tweeted Nides. “As we head into Thanksgiving, I am grateful that they will recover. I pray for a peaceful holiday in the U.S., Jerusalem, or wherever you may be celebrating.”

Authorities believe that the source of the blasts were two remotely detonated nail-bombs.

Police described the explosives as “high quality,” and suggested an organized terror cell planned and carried out the attack.

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.