Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Prince Charles donates to British charity working to assist Ukrainian refugees

World Jewish Relief has assisted more than 20,000 Ukrainians since the start of the war on Feb. 24

Prince Charles. Credit: Dan Marsh via Wikimedia Commons.
Prince Charles. Credit: Dan Marsh via Wikimedia Commons.

The Prince of Wales has made a private donation to a British Jewish international humanitarian agency working to help Ukrainian refugees, reported The Jewish Chronicle.

Prince Charles has been a patron of the World Jewish Relief (WJR) since 2015. He visited the organization’s office last week in London, where he praised staff for their work in support of Ukrainian refugees fleeing Russia’s invasion of the country. He also met with some of those refugees.

The exact sum of the donation was not revealed.

The relief group has assisted more than 20,000 Ukrainians with humanitarian aid and evacuation efforts since the start of the war on Feb. 24, said the charity on its website. It is currently working in 61 towns and cities across Ukraine.

WJR president Henry Grunwald described Prince Charles as “an amazingly tuned-in patron” while speaking this week at the Jewish Community Centre of Krakow, which the Prince of Wales opened in 2008 in partnership with the charity. The Jewish Community Centre is now being used as a place to support Ukrainian refugees.

According to the Chronicle, Prince Charles first got involved with WJR in 2002 after meeting members of the Jewish community in Krakow who have been assisted by the charity.

“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”