Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Trump bars senior Iranian officials and their families from entering US

A proclamation accuses Iran of sponsoring terrorism, arbitrarily detaining American citizens and threatening its neighbors.

U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the annual U.N. General Assembly in New York on Sept. 24, 2019. Credit: UN Photo/Cia Pak.
U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the annual U.N. General Assembly in New York on Sept. 24, 2019. Credit: UN Photo/Cia Pak.

U.S. President Donald Trump issued a proclamation on Wednesday barring senior Iranian government officials and their families from entering the United States, whether for work, travel or study.

In the visa ban, Trump accused Iran of sponsoring terrorism, detaining American citizens and posing a military and cyber threat to its neighbors.

“Given that this behavior threatens peace and stability in the Middle East and beyond, I have determined that it is in the interest of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or non-immigrants, of senior government officials of Iran, and their immediate family members,” Trump said in the proclamation.

The move comes after years of petitions from the families of Americans imprisoned in Iran.

As part of their efforts, the families compiled a list of Iranian nationals with close family connections to top Iranian officials, including Iranian President Hassan Rouhani himself.

Trump handed authority to decide who would be covered by the proclamation to the secretary of state, but said exceptions to the ban would include lawful permanent U.S. residents, those granted asylum and refugees already admitted to the United States. He also provided possible exceptions for people whose entry “would further important ... law enforcement objectives.”

It was not clear whether the proclamation would affect Iranian diplomats currently in New York for the U.N. General Assembly meeting.

There are currently at least four Americans imprisoned in Iran, under pretenses that United Nations monitors and human-rights groups have called baseless.

Earlier on Wednesday, at the UNGA gathering, Rouhani accused the United States of “merciless economic terrorism.”

Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, of Park Avenue Synagogue, told JNS that he will address “Yizkor, memory and revelation,” rather than politics, during Shavuot morning services.
“The bill will continue to return our intelligence agencies back to their core mission: the collection of clandestine foreign intelligence to protect our homeland,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.
“There’s much that goes into a security-layered approach, and as far as I’m concerned, you can never have too many layers,” the village’s police chief told JNS.
Removing sanctions on the anti-Israel United Nations adviser “will undermine important national security and foreign policy interests of the United States,” the Justice Department said.
“Reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” warned Nickolay Mladenov, amid a stalled peace process he largely blamed on the Gazan terror group.
Regardless of the findings of a recent Democratic National Committee “autopsy” report, a “majority of Americans, including Democrats, support the U.S.-Israel relationship,” Brian Romick, of Democratic Majority for Israel, told JNS.