Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Austrian authorities arrest Syrian suspect for assault on Jewish leader

Elie Rosen was attacked with a piece of wood after approaching the suspect, who had been throwing stones into a synagogue courtyard.

Elie Rosen, the head of the Jewish community of Graz, Austria. Source: Twitter.
Elie Rosen, the head of the Jewish community of Graz, Austria. Source: Twitter.

Austrian authorities announced the arrest on Monday of a 31-year-old Syrian refugee in connection with the assault on the head of the Jewish community in Graz on Saturday.

“Investigators believe that there was an Islamist motive. Corresponding evidence was seized at his apartment,” said Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer, according to AP.

The suspect is also believed to be linked with damage to a Catholic church and an LGBT community center, said Nehammer.

The victim, Elie Rosen, was attacked with a piece of wood after approaching the suspect, who had been throwing stones into the courtyard of a synagogue, according to the report. Rosen escaped the incident without harm, and the assailant fled the scene.

The suspect had been living in Austria since 2013. Police found stones in his backpack and a chair leg that he allegedly used to attack Rosen, said Nehammer, according to AP.

According to the Austrian Press Agency, he ordered all synagogues to be guarded around the clock.

Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said he was “shaken” by the attack. He promised to bring the perpetrator to justice quickly and to ensure the security of Austria’s Jews, according to the report.

“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.
Shomrim Toronto told JNS that the possibility that the girl’s disappearance is related to targeting of the Jewish community is “not something of concern at the moment.”