Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

B’nai Brith Canada calls slew of swastika vandalism around country ‘reprehensible’

“We trust that our law-enforcement partners will investigate these matters diligently and do everything possible to apprehend the perpetrators,” said B’nai Brith Canada CEO Michael Mostyn.

The election Jewish MPs in Montreal targeted with anti-Semitic graffiti. Credit: Friends of Simon Wisenthal Center.
The election Jewish MPs in Montreal targeted with anti-Semitic graffiti. Credit: Friends of Simon Wisenthal Center.

B’nai Brith Canada condemned the recent increase in swastika vandalism that has taken place across the country.

“The continued use of the Nazi swastika in an attempt to intimidate Jewish communities is reprehensible and unacceptable,” said B’nai Brith Canada CEO Michael Mostyn in a statement on Thursday. “We trust that our law-enforcement partners will investigate these matters diligently and do everything possible to apprehend the perpetrators.”

On Thursday morning, a swastika was found by the entrance of the Beth Sholom Synagogue in midtown Toronto. Earlier this week, campaign signs for two Jewish parliament members running for re-election in Montreal were defaced with swastikas. A vehicle in midtown Toronto and the Charlton Public School, located in the Jewish neighborhood of Thornhill, was also defaced with swastikas in two separate incidents on Monday.

On Sunday, members of a Toronto-based Jewish baseball league found a giant swastika drawn in the sand at a public park in Richmond Hill where they were scheduled to play.

The rise in swastika vandalism coincides with the start of the federal election campaign, which formally began on Sunday. B’nai Brith Canada said that in recent years, incidents of anti-Semitism notably increase during both federal and provincial election campaigns in Canada.

Also this week, Toronto Police announced that a suspect was charged with one count of mischief under $5,000 for drawing swastikas on chairs at a park in June. Police are treating the incident as a suspected hate-motivated offense.

In a report delivered to the U.N. Security Council, the board says the terrorist organization’s refusal to give up its weapons remains “the principal obstacle to full implementation” of the Gaza ceasefire.
“Over time, the members of the Congress, both houses, both parties, are going to understand that this is a cost that is not only affordable but absolutely a necessary investment,” Eric Fingerhut, president and CEO of the Jewish Federations of North America, told JNS.
The U.S. secretary of state cited “overwhelming support” for a U.S.-Bahrain resolution demanding Tehran halt attacks and remove sea mines from the strategic waterway.
“At their core, sanctions are not acts of aggression,” Scott Bessent said at an annual terrorism funding conference. “They are instruments of peace.”
Prosecutors said that he tried to bring a man, who was hiding under luggage in the back of a vehicle, into the United States through a border crossing.
The Philadelphia Police Department said that the suspect entered a child’s bedroom before a neighbor intervened.