Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Germany charges Nazi concentration-camp guard, 95, with war crimes

The suspect is being tested to determine whether he is fit to stand trial.

Stutthof Concentration Camp
The entrance to Stutthof concentration camp in Poland. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

A German court announced on Monday that a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration-camp guard was charged with war crimes during the Holocaust.

The suspect was a guard at the Stutthof concentration camp in a wooded area near Danzig (now Gdansk, Poland) in what could be one of the last trials against Nazis in the Holocaust, the AFP reported.

The guard is accused of being part of the murder of several hundred people, a spokesman for the district court in Wuppertal told AFP.

The suspect is being tested to determine whether he is fit enough to stand trial. He was assigned to work at the camp at the age of 19; as such, the case would be held in a juvenile court.

The report also noted that last week, German prosecutors asked for a three-year jail sentence for 93-year-old Bruno Dey, a former guard at Stutthof who they said was “without a doubt” complicit in murdering more than 5,000 people.

The Jerusalem ceremony came on Somaliland’s Independence Day and marked another step in ties between the two countries after Israeli recognition in December.
“The challenges faced by lone soldiers are far more difficult than those of a soldier who grew up in Israel,” Diaspora Affairs Minister Amichai Chikli said.
Tel Aviv University researchers developed a method that may remove excess glutamate from the bloodstream in the first hours after injury, aiming to reduce the chain reaction of damage.
Under the terms of the first phase of the ceasefire, the IDF was given control of 53%.
Organizers said the police cited security concerns over advertisement for the Nova Exhibition.
The P.A. chief “admitted again” to paying terrorists, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said.