This 2024 - Let's Win the Battle of Headlines
update deskIsrael at War

Hezbollah rocket wounds two Israeli soldiers

IDF artillery units responded by opening fire at the source of the attacks in Southern Lebanon.

Smoke rises following an Israeli Air Force strike in Southern Lebanon, Oct. 9, 2023. Photo by David Cohen/Flash90.
Smoke rises following an Israeli Air Force strike in Southern Lebanon, Oct. 9, 2023. Photo by David Cohen/Flash90.

Two Israeli soldiers sustained minor injuries on Tuesday morning in a Hezbollah rocket attack on a military post in the area of Moshav Margaliot, near the border with Lebanon, according to the Israel Defense Forces.

The soldiers were evacuated to a hospital and their families were informed, said IDF Spokesperson Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari.

According to Hagari, IDF forces detected several launches that crossed into Israeli territory from Southern Lebanon. Artillery units fired on the source of the attacks.

The Iran-backed terrorist organization claimed responsibility for the attacks, including the launch of two heavy “Burkan” rockets, which can carry an explosive payload of more than 1,000 pounds.

Earlier on Tuesday morning, Israeli Air Force jets struck a Hezbollah terror base near Marwahin on the Lebanese border.

Overnight Tuesday, IAF jets attacked Hezbollah operational facilities near Meiss el-Jabal, also in Southern Lebanon, and shelled the terror group’s positions with artillery to “remove threats,” per the IDF.

Hezbollah has been initiating a series of fire exchanges with Israel since Oct. 7 as the Jewish state fights Hamas terrorists to the south.

The Shi’ite terror group fired more than 2,000 rockets at Israel between Oct. 8 and Jan. 9, in addition to dozens of anti-tank missiles.

The attacks have killed five Israeli civilians and nine soldiers.

The IDF has struck more than 3,400 Hezbollah targets since Tehran’s terror proxy joined the war in support of Hamas. The IDF destroyed some 120 observation posts, 40 weapons depots, and 40 command and control centers. Hezbollah has lost more than 130 fighters.

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant met on Sunday night in Tel Aviv with senior White House envoy Amos Hochstein, who has been mediating a potential agreement to stave off full-blown war.

Gallant emphasized Jerusalem’s commitment to improving the security situation in the area by removing the threats of infiltration and rocket fire from Lebanon. “We are committed to our citizens. We are ready to resolve this crisis via diplomatic understandings; however, we are also prepared for any other scenario,” said Gallant.

He expressed his appreciation for Hochstein’s efforts to address the security issues in the northern arena and mindfulness of the 80,000 Israelis who remain displaced from the region due to the conflict.

Following a situational assessment held in the Haifa bayside suburb of Kiryat Ata last week, Gallant warned that the Jewish state must seriously prepare for the possibility of a war with Hezbollah.

“Alongside the military preparedness that we are advancing, and alongside the process that we are trying to lead in the political-diplomatic efforts, we are also preparing in the civilian sphere and the [IDF] Home Front Command has received clear instructions,” he said.

If conditions on Israel’s northern border deteriorate further, “the situation in Haifa will not be good, but in Beirut, the situation will be devastating,” Gallant added.

You have read 3 articles this month.
Register to receive full access to JNS.

Israel is at war - Support JNS

JNS is combating the barrage of misinformation with factual reporting. We depend on your support.

Support JNS
Topics
Comments
Thank you. You are a loyal JNS Reader.
You have read more than 10 articles this month.
Please register for full access to continue reading and post comments.
Never miss a thing
Get the best stories faster with JNS breaking news updates