(August 27, 2019 / JNS) Iraqi President Barham Salih and Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi on Monday condemned airstrikes carried out the day before on targets associated with paramilitary groups linked to Iran, Reuters reported.
According to the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), which is comprised of Iranian-backed Shi’ite militias, two drones carried out the Sunday attacks, which it claimed killed one fighter and seriously wounded another. The PMF accused Israel of responsibility for the strikes, claiming they had been carried out with U.S. cooperation.
On Monday, the Pentagon said in a statement that U.S. forces were not responsible for the attacks or for other recent attacks on ammunition storage facilities in Iraq.
“We support Iraqi sovereignty and have repeatedly spoken out against any potential actions by external actors inciting violence in Iraq,” said the statement.
Speaking last week about possible Israeli involvement in strikes in Iraq, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: “We are operating—not just if needed, we are operating in many areas against a state that wants to annihilate us. Of course, I gave the security forces a free hand and instructed them to do anything necessary to thwart Iran’s plans.”
JNS works around the clock to provide high-quality, pro-Israel content. We’ve taken numerous steps to improve the quality, quantity, and distribution of our content for even greater impact. We intend to keep on growing, and to do that we need your help.
Please help us take pro-Israel journalism to the next level with a tax-deductible sponsorship, either on a one-time or recurring monthly basis. Jewish News Syndicate is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization.