Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

High Court ends Orthodox monopoly on conversion for adoption

Every case will be examined individually, the judges rule.

A father and his adopted sons. Photo by Brendon Connelly via Wikimedia Commons.
A father and his adopted sons. Photo by Brendon Connelly via Wikimedia Commons.

After a 20-year legal battle, the High Court of Justice on Sunday ended a practice whereby non-Jewish children adopted in Israel have to undergo an Orthodox conversion to Judaism.

The nine-justice panel issued its ruling on a petition submitted in 2003 by the Israel Movement for Reform and Progressive Judaism.

At issue was the Israeli law under which the religion of Jewish parents and their adopted children has to be the same. The state’s Children Protection Service had decided that only Orthodox conversion would qualify for non-Jewish children being adopted, prompting the petition.

Only several dozen non-Jewish children were up for adoption last year, leading the court to rule that every case can be examined individually.

“This case could have and should have been decided many years ago, but it was protracted because among other reasons the court took its time in handing down a decision,” Uri Regev, CEO of the NGO Hiddush—For Religious Freedom and Equality told JNS in an interview.

Regev was the founding head of the Israel Religious Action Center, which submitted the petition to the Supreme Court, sitting as the High Court of Justice.

“Despite the haredi wrath against the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court is anything but eager to pull the chestnuts out of the fire and to rock the boat on issues of religion and state, and often tries to pressure the parties to reach an agreement in the hopes that a solution would be found without having to rule,” he said.

Regev said that adoption is a civil institution and so was never defined as being governed by halachah, or Jewish law, nor should it be.

Etgar Lefkovits, an award-winning international journalist, is an Israel correspondent and a feature news writer for JNS. A native of Chicago, he has two decades of experience in journalism, having served as Jerusalem correspondent in one of the world’s most demanding positions. He is currently based in Tel Aviv.
Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.