(August 25, 2021 / JNS) Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi said on Wednesday that Iran’s nuclear progress has led the military to hasten its operational preparations for preparing an attack option against Tehran’s nuclear program.
According to a report by Walla, a section of funds from the recently passed defense budget—58 billion shekels or nearly $18 billion—will be diverted to beefing up the attack option.
The report said that Maj. Gen. Tal Kalman, head of the IDF’s Strategy and Third Circle Directorate (previously called the Strategy and Iran Directorate), is coordinating the steps to set up attack options, including operational plans, training plans and necessary force build-up. Similar attack options are being prepared against Iran’s missile and drone bases.
Meanwhile, Kochavi said the IDF is “working systematically and in varied ways to decrease Iran’s influence in the Middle East.”
The report noted that Israel attacks Iranian targets in the region once every two weeks through missiles directed towards threatening positions at sea and on Syrian territory.
IDF sources reportedly rejected Syrian claims that Israeli missiles were being intercepted by Russian-made defense systems in the possession of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Jewish News Syndicate
With geographic, political and social divides growing wider, high-quality reporting and informed analysis are more important than ever to keep people connected.
Our ability to cover the most important issues in Israel and throughout the Jewish world—without the standard media bias—depends on the support of committed readers.
If you appreciate the value of our news service and recognize how JNS stands out among the competition, please click on the link and make a one-time or monthly contribution.
We appreciate your support.