There were three strategic errors that led to World War II:
1) Germany was forbidden to rearm after World War I, but the Versailles Treaty was not properly enforced. As a result, Hitler was able to build the most lethal military machine the world had known to that point.
2) German anti-Semitism was infecting Europe and undermining Christianity, but no neighboring countries said or did anything substantive to expose or ideologically combat it.
3) German supremacist and imperialistic thought under the Nazis threatened all neighboring countries, but none of those countries did anything to stop Germany until they were actually invaded.
Part of the reason European nations made these mistakes is that they were exhausted by the Second World War (“the war to end all wars”) and had little desire to once again engage in a military build-up or commit their young men to a bloody conflict. Ironically, by sitting on the sidelines until war was forced upon them, what could have been prevented through enforcement of the Versailles Treaty, or stopped with minimal bloodshed, ended up costing the world nearly 60 million lives, including those of 11 million European civilians—6 million of them Jews.
Between 1942-45, the U.S. Department of Defense contracted legendary film director Frank Capra to produce a series of films, titled “Why We Fight,” that would explain the nature of the war, the parties involved, their motivations, and the outcomes they were seeking. The primary purpose of these films, according to Gen. George Marshall, was “to replace the series of lectures given to newly inducted soldiers as to why we are in the war.”
The added purpose, however, was to provide a crash course in these issues to the American people, who were required to undergo rationing and massive tax increases to pay for the nation to go from a free economy to one geared towards supporting the war effort.
This first installment, below, Prelude To War, will give those unfamiliar with these issues a thorough introduction to the forces that led to World War II:
Today, the European Union is once again making catastrophic errors in judgment, errors that may well lead to a third world war—and it has zero excuses for doing so.
Some of these errors are:
1) E.U. countries refuse to recognize Iran’s rulers as messianic fascists who welcome their own destruction. During the Cold War, the United States and USSR stood eyeball to eyeball, armed to the teeth, knowing that if either attacked the other, they would be destroyed (the “mutually-assured destruction” or MAD doctrine)—and worked strenuously to avoid that conflict.
In contrast, Iran’s rulers have been threatening to kill everyone in America (“the Great Satan”) and Israel (“the Little Satan”) and have openly said that doing so will bring forth the “Twelfth Mahdi,” the messenger of Allah, who will lead Muslims to global domination, after which they will be instantly transported to the most revered portion of Heaven. Thus, the MAD doctrine is inapplicable to the messianic rulers of Iran, yet E.U. countries refuse to accept this fact (and sadly, most U.S. citizens are unaware of it).
2) E.U. countries are not stopping Iran from pursuing nuclear weapons, or violating the terms of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), aka the “Iran nuclear deal. E.U. countries occasionally mouth concerns over Iran’s persistent violations of the JCPOA, which its rulers never signed and which President Barack Obama promised would prevent the Islamist regime from acquiring nuclear weapons.
In fact, even the left-leaning Brookings Institution admitted that the primary beneficiaries of the windfall of cash Iran’s rulers received as a result of the JCPOA were its internal terrorist apparatus (the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or IRGC) and Hezbollah, the world’s largest Islamist terrorist organization. Yet E.U. countries have refused to take any substantive action to punish Iran’s rulers.
3) Certain E.U. countries are constantly scheming to violate U.S. sanctions to engage in commerce with Iran. Germany has even refused to disclose Iran’s attempts to obtain nuclear weapons and missile technologies, in violation of the terms of the JCPOA, and its parliament recently refused to ban Hezbollah from operating, fundraising and organizing on German soil.
4) E.U. countries are not working to protect their Jewish populations, particularly from the No. 1 perpetrators of hate crimes against them—radical Islamists—or externally, to help protect Jews in Israel. To the contrary, many E.U. nations are funding anti-Semitic hate and terrorist groups that are also backed by Iran.
So what must be done if World War III is to be avoided?
1) E.U. countries must accept the reality of the existential threat that Iran poses, and how quickly this threat is metastasizing, often with their help.
2) New center-right parties in European countries must join in coalitions with exciting centrist parties so as to influence far stronger protections against foreign and internal threats.
3) The U.K. needs to exit the failing E.U. by Oct. 31, 2019, as Prime Minister Boris Johnson has proposed and recently confirmed.
4) European countries must join forces with the United States to stop Iran, sooner than later, using military means if necessary.
In World War II, the Nazi regime was committed to conquering the world for National Socialism, but that war was fought with airplanes, tanks, battleships and guns. It took six years and 60 million deaths before the Nazis and their Italian and Japanese allies could be defeated; however, Hitler’s war machine could have been stopped in its infancy had European countries had the courage and will to act.
Today, Iran is on a messianic quest to obtain nuclear weapons capable of destroying nations within minutes, and many E.U. countries are not only not acting to stop this threat, but actively enabling these Islamist fascists.
Will E.U. countries rise to the challenge? Given all the above, it appears unlikely.
There is still time, however, for E.U. countries to reverse course and accept the reality, and the fact that in most cases they are themselves welcoming, enabling, protecting and even funding the existential threat facing them.
We pray that they reverse course while there is still time and join America in taking the actions necessary to stop the Iranian threat once and for all—hopefully, through peaceful means—before the next global war is imposed upon us.
Ken Abramowitz is the president and founder of SaveTheWest. Jon Sutz is SaveTheWest’s consulting editor and videographer.
Be a part of our community
JNS serves as the central hub for a thriving community of readers who appreciate the invaluable context our coverage offers on Israel and their Jewish world.
Please join our community and help support our unique brand of Jewish journalism that makes sense.