Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

IAF strike kills Hamas ‘security’ chief in northern Gaza

Tharwat Muhammad Ahmed Albec was responsible for gathering intelligence to support Hamas’s decision-making.

Ovda Airbase
An Israeli Air Force F-15 fighter jet takes off from Ovda Airbase, 25 miles north of Eilat, Nov. 25, 2013. Photo by Ofer Zidon/Flash90.

An Israeli Air Force strike killed Hamas terrorist Tharwat Muhammad Ahmed Albec, the head of the General Security Directorate within Hamas’s General Security apparatus, the military said on Monday.

Albec was targeted in a command-and-control facility housed in a former school building in the Daraj Tuffah area of northern Gaza, the Israel Defense Forces and Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) stated.

The military said the slain terrorist led a directorate that was responsible for gathering intelligence to support Hamas’s decision-making, securing the terror group’s leaders and arranging hiding places for commanders.

On Sunday night, the IAF carried out a strike against a Hamas terrorist operating in the Khan Younis humanitarian zone in southern Gaza.

The Israel Defense Forces emphasized that many steps were taken before the attack to minimize the risk to civilians.

“This is a further example of the Hamas terrorist organization’s systematic abuse of civilian infrastructure and the Gaza population in violation of international law,” the IDF said. “The IDF will continue to operate against Hamas in defense of the citizens of Israel.”

The IDF also announced on Sunday night that a reservist with the Harel Brigade’s 429th Battalion was seriously wounded earlier in the day during combat in central Gaza. The soldier was evacuated to a hospital for medical treatment and his family was notified.

The late Jewish congressman “approached Israel as a liberal Zionist: engaged, critical and deeply committed,” William Daroff, CEO of the Conference of Presidents, told JNS.
“Protecting civil rights of every American remains a core responsibility of the Department of Justice,” Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche stated.
One person reportedly sustained light injuries in the vehicular assault.
“They came with a lot of pride—look how they look now,” said Israel’s National Security Minister.
Oscar-winning filmmaker László Nemes said his Holocaust films would likely be ignored in today’s “shameless orgy of antisemitism.”
“Your humiliation will be recorded in history,” IRGC Commander Brig.-Gen. Ahmad Vahidi warned the United States.