Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Ofer Cassif suspended from Knesset for 45 days for anti-Israel comments

The Hadash MK, who is Jewish, accused the Netanyahu government of exploiting the Hamas attack to implement a “final solution.”

Knesset member Ofer Cassif attends a committee meeting at the parliament in Jerusalem, Nov. 8, 2021. Credit: Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
Knesset member Ofer Cassif attends a committee meeting at the parliament in Jerusalem, Nov. 8, 2021. Credit: Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

The Knesset Ethics Committee on Wednesday suspended Knesset member Ofer Cassif of the Arab-Jewish Communist Hadash Party for 45 days and docked his pay for two weeks for anti-Israel comments he made in the wake of the Hamas attack on Oct. 7.

The ethics committee based its decision on remarks Cassif made that drew “a connection between the content world of the Holocaust and current government policy in times of war.”

It referred to a statement by Cassif in an Oct. 15 interview with Irish journalist Finian Cunningham, in which he accused the government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of exploiting the murderous attacks to implement a “final solution” to wipe out Palestinian Arabs.

The “final solution” typically refers to the German’s plan to annihilate European Jewry during World War II.

Cassif asserted that Israel’s current Minister of Finance Bezalel Smotrich published a 2017 “subjugation plan” that called for annexing all disputed territories, expelling all Arabs who didn’t accept their position as “subjects” and killing any who resisted.

‘Deep disgust’ at the statements

Cassif also said that the Israeli effort to eliminate the Hamas threat “has nothing to do with security. It has to do with hatred and revenge.”

The ruling noted that Cassif said “Israel wanted this violence” and urged pressure on Israel. “All lovers of peace must join forces, Palestinians and Israelis, Arabs, Jews and the international community, and tell Israel to end the occupation now.”

The committee said that 400 complaints had been filed by citizens and MKs Almog Cohen of Otzma Yehudit and Nissim Vaturi of Likud. The committee expressed its “deep disgust” at Cassif’s statements.

Cassif has made numerous anti-Israel remarks since the attack, blaming Israel’s “occupation” for the barbaric terrorist assault that cost the lives of more than 1,400 Jews, mainly civilians.

On Oct. 8, a day after the Hamas offensive, Cassif told Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based Arab news outlet, whose local bureau Israel has moved to ban for revealing the locations of IDF soldiers:

“The Israeli government, which is a fascist government, supports, encourages, and leads pogroms against the Palestinians. There is an ethnic cleansing going on.”

Cassif said the committee’s decision “is another nail in the coffin of freedom of political expression.”

“Even in these difficult days, I will not be silent and will continue to fight for the public and the principles on whose behalf I was elected—peace, equality and justice for all.”

The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, and a bystander was hit in the gunfire, the agency said.
“The Trumbull Republican Town Committee owes every Trumbull citizen an apology,” the town’s chief elected official stated.
The high-security prison has since removed the offensive images, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Justice’s office of the inspector general.
Muhammad Anas Sial now also faces a count of ‘wilful promotion of hatred” in connection with an incident in mid-March.
“Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her,” U.S. President Donald Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed,” the president said. “In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”