Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Shin Bet bars Israeli flights from Cyprus airport, citing ‘security considerations’

El Al had reportedly already redirected its Cyprus flights to Larnaca for several days beforehand.

EL AL Airlines
El Al Airlines planes parked at Ben-Gurion International Airport in Lod, Israel, Aug. 3, 2020. Photo by Olivier Fitoussi/Flash90.

The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) banned Israeli airlines on Monday from landing at Paphos International Airport in southwestern Cyprus due to unspecified security concerns, according to Hebrew media reports.

The ISA ordered Israeli airlines El Al, Arkia and Israir to “concentrate flights to and from Cyprus at Larnaca Airport based on various security considerations,” according to a statement cited by Ynet.

The ISA directive would remain in place for the entire month of January but could be extended, according to Mako, a Channel 12 News outlet.

El Al had already redirected its Cyprus flights to Larnaca for several days, informing its passengers in announcements before takeoff and offering them transportation by bus to Paphos, according to the report.

The Israeli government currently does not advise against traveling to Paphos, and the decision to prohibit Israeli carriers from landing there reportedly stems from security considerations related to the airport.

Israel’s National Security Council has said that since the start of the war against Hamas on Oct. 7, 2023, many Israelis have temporarily relocated to Cyprus, raising concerns about Iranian terror activity there.

Back in June, Hezbollah senior leader Hassan Nasrallah, who was assassinated by Israel in September, threatened that Cyprus would be considered “a part of the war” if Nicosia continued to allow Jerusalem to use its airports and bases for military exercises.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.