Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli film back on outside Philadelphia after court issues restraining order

“This attempt to censor the arts and culture of Israel was not successful,” wrote the Israeli Film Festival in a statement.

Bryn Mawr Film Institute
Entrance to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute outside Philadelphia, April 9, 2024. Photo by Carin M. Smilk.

In a turnaround of events, an Israeli Film Festival screening on Tuesday night that was previously announced as canceled is now back on.

“The Child Within Me,” a 90-minute documentary about Israeli musician Yehuda Poliker, will be shown as scheduled at 7 p.m. at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute as part of the 2024 season of the Israeli Film Festival of Philadelphia (IFF).

“This attempt to censor the arts and culture of Israel was not successful,” wrote the IFF in a statement.

The development came about as a result of a Temporary Restraining Order by Judge Richard P. Haaz of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas outside of Philadelphia.

Bryn Mawr Film Institute
A listing outside the Bryn Mawr Film Institute showing a screening by the Israeli Film Festival of Philadelphia, April 9, 2024. Photo by Carin M. Smilk.

It is called “extraordinary relief,” as it is rarely granted, said Lori Lowenthal Marcus, legal director of the Deborah Project, who filed the complaint on Tuesday morning with her husband, attorney Jerome M. Marcus.

She noted the film is nonpolitical in nature and that the BMFI is simply providing the space, not sanctioning the content. In fact, that was written into the contract between BMFI and IFF that would have been breached had the movie not been shown.

Pressure, she said, was coming from the chapters of Students for Justice in Palestine at nearby Bryn Mawr and Haverford colleges. The BMFI acknowledged being concerned about both anti-Israel protesters and counter-protesters.

Lowenthal Marcus said their goal was not just to cancel the one film but the seven-day festival entirely, which takes place from April 6 to April 14.

BMFI has been a venue for IFF for the past 18 years, and members in the community have said they want it to stay that way. Scott Zelov, Lower Merion Township commissioner, stated that since the announcement, “I have heard from many in our community who are angry and upset by the decision to cancel.”

As for Lowenthal Marcus, she said it’s a matter of “Jews standing up for Jews. Others want to shut us down and shut us up. But we’re not going to weakly walk away.”

Carin M. Smilk is managing editor of the U.S. bureau at JNS, with extensive experience in writing, content editing, copy editing and newsroom management. She has worked in newspaper and communications offices in New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore; freelanced for more than 25 years; and contributed to magazines and books. She has won more than three dozen individual and team journalism awards on the U.S. state and national levels.
“We have a responsibility to confront antisemitism, defend democratic values and ensure every resident feels safe,” said Steven Meiner, mayor of Miami Beach.
The public university stated that the graduate student violated rules that were sent out prior to graduation and that several participants were removed from various ceremonies for carrying different flags, including U.S. and Ukrainian ones.
Rep. Adam Smith, ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, told JNS that “the far-right and the far-left have decided that threats and intimidation are another way to try to either drive people out or make them so scared that they acquiesce.”
Major New York City Jewish leaders boycotted the event, to which JNS was told there was no room for it to report.
Catherine Connolly, who has defended Hamas and accused Israel of “genocide,” said she was worried about her sister Margaret after Israeli forces intercepted activist vessels heading to Gaza.
A quarter of a million Israelis visited the Central European nation last year, marking a 33.4% year-over-year increase.