Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Third COVID-19 lockdown won’t be extended, says top Israeli Health Ministry official

Israeli health minister attributes slow fall in morbidity to new virus variants • January has so far seen the highest monthly death toll since the pandemic began with nearly 1,000 fatalities.

Downtown Jerusalem during the country's third nationwide coronavirus lockdown, Jan. 21, 2021. Photo by Olivier Fitoussi/Flash90.
Downtown Jerusalem during the country’s third nationwide coronavirus lockdown, Jan. 21, 2021. Photo by Olivier Fitoussi/Flash90.

Israeli Health Ministry Director General Hezi Levi said on Sunday morning that the country’s third COVID-19 lockdown will not be extended past Jan. 31, and hopefully, starting on that date the gradual exit from the lockdown can begin.

Health Minister Yuli Edelstein, however, emphasized that the country is not out of the woods just yet.

The COVID-19 morbidity rate was decreasing but very slowly, he said, adding that while this was likely due mostly to the spread of new, highly contagious variants of the virus, failure to adhere to lockdown guidelines was also playing a part. The health minister called on Israelis to obey Health Ministry directives.

Nearly 1,000 (998) Israelis have died of COVID-19 since the beginning of the year, the ministry reported Sunday—the highest monthly death toll since the onset of the pandemic. October saw 961 COVID fatalities.

According to ministry data, the infection rate stood at 8 percent on Saturday.

This article first appeared in Israel Hayom.

A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.
A Shavuot benefit at Jerusalem’s Tower of David raised funds for HaGal Sheli’s surfing-based rehabilitation programs.
“May this day of faith and renewal bring peace, hope, and strength,” the Foreign Ministry wrote.
The country’s foreign minister called on the E.U. to also adopt sanctions against Itamar Ben-Gvir.
Netanyahu says operational freedom includes in Lebanon, as the American president vows no Tehran deal without dismantling its nuclear program and removing enriched uranium.